Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How to ask....

for a demotion?

Things are changing at my setting where I am the manager. There is a move to full days, with the hope that this will get more children and therefore more staff. I have been manager now for 3 years and to be honest I'm tired. I received yet another piece of paperwork from my LEA ( an audit) that they said I should be doing (OFSTED tickbox). I'm included in ratio, keyworker for 15 children,do all the finances, admissions and doing more and more in my own time. I do not like managing staff and all that that entails (the responsibility of it all!) and my health has started to suffer (not sleeping, stressed/anxious etc ..currently having tests with Dr).

I want to go back to nursery assistant, a job i do already on a day to day basis, enjoy and I am good at. I really have no desire to lead and manage anymore. I'm just not sure if I put this to my committee if I would actually have a job! We don't need another assistant at the moment but once the changes have been done (hopefully sept) there may be a vacancy. My deputy would not step up to be manager and I think it would be best for the setting to then have the option of being able to recruit a full time manager for Sept. I have a meeting next month with the committee, do you think I should be telling them how I feel and therefore giving them plenty of notice?

Not sure what to say to them.

Either that or I start to look for other employment now and potentially only leave them 4 weeks to find a new manager should I be lucky to find another job (would feel dreadful)!!

Help!!!!

could you employ an administrator so that you can drop some of your roles? would this help or has it just gone too far?

Unfortunately we cant afford it! I think its more of the management (staff/OFSTED/other professionals/SEN/CAF meetings/QA etc) side of things i am struggling with both in terms of time and sorting out. I am lev 3 qualified and feel that this is no longer enough with what is expected of the job and expectations/responsibilities now. Have been doing this for 10 years and have seen a dramatic change from what my first ever manager did (not that I am saying that this is a bad thing..just feel out of my depth now). I believe that this is where the government want this to go..to be teacher led now. In fact the paperwork I am talking about today asked how I was encouraging my staff to get better qualifications as this has now proved to be in the best interests of the children!! I am at an age whereby I do not want to do anymore qualifications. I already attend local area meetings, SEN meetings, one day training as well as the legal training such as first aid!

Hi MArley. I can understand exactly where you are coming from. Do your committee actually carry out your supervisions and appraisal (mine dont) and if so have you bought up about how unhappy you feel? Maybe this is the place to start? How many children and staff at your setting and what hours are you open?

Unfortunately we cant afford it! I think its more of the management (staff/OFSTED/other professionals/SEN/CAF meetings/QA etc) side of things i am struggling with both in terms of time and sorting out. I am lev 3 qualified and feel that this is no longer enough with what is expected of the job and expectations/responsibilities now. Have been doing this for 10 years and have seen a dramatic change from what my first ever manager did (not that I am saying that this is a bad thing..just feel out of my depth now). I believe that this is where the government want this to go..to be teacher led now. In fact the paperwork I am talking about today asked how I was encouraging my staff to get better qualifications as this has now proved to be in the best interests of the children!! I am at an age whereby I do not want to do anymore qualifications. I already attend local area meetings, SEN meetings, one day training as well as the legal training such as first aid!

I could have written this. I started in childcare as a nursery nurse at the age of 18. I kind of then fell into running our village playgroup when my children were there. I am now (big gulp) nearly 42 and the changes that have happened over this time are enormous. I too am a level three and apart from the CPD that I do, I am not interested in doing a higher level qualification. I have worked really hard to keep abreast of all new changes and will continue to do so but I am getting to the point where I feel it has to be either managing or children. I am good at both but am struggling to do it all. Our committee of 4 are good at fundraising but apart from a little support from the chair I am responsible for everything, I feel like no one else is accountable and it is weighing heavily on me. I suffer from anxiety and worry so much about everything but I also want to be able to do it all 100%. I think you should approach them and see what they say, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 5

Our manager stepped down after a slamming visit by an 'advisor' really knocked her confidence at a time when she was having a lump in her breast looked at, that turned out to be nothing as did the 'advisor' who was just exceedingly rude. But it made her realise she didnt need to take crap off people.

She still works with us, 3 days a week and job shares with another member of staff who left to have a baby but didnt want to return full time.

The least you can do is ask your committee about it, my dad has 2 sayings

1. You dont ask, you dont get

2 The squeaking gate gets the oil

• Like 7

Either that or I start to look for other employment now and potentially only leave them 4 weeks to find a new manager should I be lucky to find another job (would feel dreadful)!!

Help!!!!

Reading this with tears running down, I'm in exactly the same position haven't slept properly since we went back to work, don't need to work for £'s but for my own wellbeing.

I know that I must put myself first but why do I keep feeling like I'm going to let everyone else down :(

Good luck Marley - ask for the demotion if they want you they'll find a way.

• Like 1

Sat in a family support meeting today where the separated parents literally tore strips off each other both blaming each other for everything. Has made me feel so sad that they are unable to put their differences aside and try and repair the damage that has been done and is being done to the children. I just want to sweep the kids up and bring them home with me for some of our lovely family home life. Got out of that meeting to find two more reports in the post from social services, switched on the computer to find a load of paperwork from the Senco and the email from Ofsted. Did manage to squeeze in a little time with the children! Things really have changed.

• Like 1

Reading this with tears running down, I'm in exactly the same position haven't slept properly since we went back to work, don't need to work for £'s but for my own wellbeing.

I know that I must put myself first but why do I keep feeling like I'm going to let everyone else down :(

Well its nice to know I am not alone..however..I chickened out!! :unsure: :( :wacko: Had a meeting and they are full of plans (have to be careful as I dont know if committee come on here too ..yes one is in EYs!)...they know I dont want to do FT...they want me to do job share manager so perhaps this could work?? I just couldn't say it...as you say....feel like I am letting them down.... perhaps wait a bit longer to see when there are more firm plans......

Did go to an area meet last night, talking to another manager and she says she forces herself to stop doing things at home...if they don't get done they don't get done (paperwork)..but she wont compromise on children and their wellbeing. :1b

Well its nice to know I am not alone..however..I chickened out!! :unsure: :( :wacko: Had a meeting and they are full of plans (have to be careful as I dont know if committee come on here too ..yes one is in EYs!)...they know I dont want to do FT...they want me to do job share manager so perhaps this could work?? I just couldn't say it...as you say....feel like I am letting them down.... perhaps wait a bit longer to see when there are more firm plans......

Did go to an area meet last night, talking to another manager and she says she forces herself to stop doing things at home...if they don't get done they don't get done (paperwork)..but she wont compromise on children and their wellbeing. :1b

Don't think of it as 'chickened out' perhaps you still aren't ready to go yet and job share could work - I'm sure some forum people have posted on here how job share works for them, so it's worth giving it ago. :1b

Good luck Marley

This is the same situation for me. I don't 'have' to work but I do 'need' to, and I do actually enjoy the children :1b

I have started putting myself first though, and the staff fully understand my/our situation and back me up. I've cut down masses of what I used to do unpaid at home. I do have moments of worry about not doing enough........... then tell myself that I am actually doing what I am being paid for - just not the freebies!!!

• Like 3

Yep, with them on that. :1b

Obviously I don't know what your personal circumstance are- but you do need to put yourself first health wise.

I have cut down massively on what I do at home and time spent doing has the hours claimed -unless it's something I choose to do rather then stuff that needs to be done.

We had our Ofsted recently and I was upfront about my 'change of ways', and that as a team we talk/dicuss and don't write much anymore. (admittedly we had a fantastic inspector who really understood our issues) .. we got a good and she even commented on how simple our paperwork is. We don't even have a SEF. She was far more impressed with the fact all staff knew all the children, and they all knew what their 'unwritten' next steps were!

• Like 1

I could have written this. I started in childcare as a nursery nurse at the age of 18. I kind of then fell into running our village playgroup when my children were there. I am now (big gulp) nearly 42 and the changes that have happened over this time are enormous. I too am a level three and apart from the CPD that I do, I am not interested in doing a higher level qualification. I have worked really hard to keep abreast of all new changes and will continue to do so but I am getting to the point where I feel it has to be either managing or children. I am good at both but am struggling to do it all. Our committee of 4 are good at fundraising but apart from a little support from the chair I am responsible for everything, I feel like no one else is accountable and it is weighing heavily on me. I suffer from anxiety and worry so much about everything but I also want to be able to do it all 100%. I think you should approach them and see what they say, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Same here and now one little accident seems to be a big thing....just wondering if its worth it anymore xxx