Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aquabeads

Hi Everyone,

This afternoon a parent brought in a bag full of Aquabeads. She's been using them with her two over halfterm and they look like great fun. She's given us a couple of packs as they were dead cheap to buy on Amazon. I really want to give it ago, but I'm a bit concerned about the safety aspect. Is anyone else using them? Are they safe for children to eat? What are they made from?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Beads-Crystal-Wedding-Decoration/dp/B0082ZT2A4/ref=sr_1_24?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1456153198&sr=1-24&keywords=aqua+beads

Best,

Alex

Edited by Puffinnursery

Hi Alex

If you read the reviews (yes, I'm that sado that does) most people have bought them for kids to play with. Does it say non toxic on the packet? They do look a bit like gelli baff though. Which I hate as its like ice if you get it on the floor.

We had these in our tuff spot today, the children really enjoy them. It's like everything we use, just have simple rules when playing with them and observant staff in that area. They are great for noticing changes. We showed the children them before and after and the comments and comparisons they made were great. Go for it and have fun!!

• Like 3

Mine loved them when I used them. They do tend to break them if they aren't careful. They are great for noticing changes as they shrink if they are out of water a long time, and swell up hugely if left in the water tray too long - then they are almost transparent and a good deal of fishing has to go on to find them - great for colanders and strainers!

I only used them under supervision, and usually when the frogspawn was in season as an aid to what it could feel like. To be honest, adult supervision was never a problem as it's hard to get an adult out of the water tray or washing up bowl when these are in!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone- this is all super useful. I think I might give it a go under some supervised circumstances, but I'm not keen on the idea of the balls expanding and causing a blockage in children's intestines. I'm going to get researching the Tapioca balls idea.

Thanks everyone- this is all super useful. I think I might give it a go under some supervised circumstances, but I'm not keen on the idea of the balls expanding and causing a blockage in children's intestines. I'm going to get researching the Tapioca balls idea.

When I say 'hugely' obviously I'm not talking grapefruit sized. It's perhaps 50% though. Once swollen, they do break more easily.

im not being funny but how the heck did a 6 month old get hold of them and then eat them and then why did his parents wait 25 days to get help! ...awful but pretty unlikely!

I was thinking exactly the same thing - plus the length of time it would take for a six month old to physically eat them, unsupervised all that time.

That case was in Pakistan but I think you just need to be aware that if they are eaten they may cause serious intestinal issues. If you are going to be using them the children would need to be fully supervised throughout rather than them being left out to access freely during the session.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)