Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS for staff

Can anyone tell me if a committee member applies for a DBS - will this suffice for a member of staff?

I have a member of staff who has a CRB but is on committee and as we all know this is no longer good enough for Ofsted, so just wanted to know if once she has her DBS for committee' does that make her CRB as a staff member redundant then?

It's all very confusing, and again i have learned something just from checking this out on the gov website. https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

I was under the impression that these now called DBS checks where for the employee to keep, and they could be taken with them. Wouldn't it make sense for the employee to apply for their own DBS?? NO that is not how it works and only an Employer can apply?? So this is how it confuses me.. what happens when an Employee after 2 months of being set up by one employer, then leaves and goes for a job at another. Does this new employer then need to re apply.. ??!

If the employee is signed up to the update service.. then wouldn't this information be available to new employers at no charge?!!

So confusing.. it would be much easier if Employee's simply applied and gained a check that could then be available to employers at the employee's approval? The employee would then be responsible for the updates.. or if the employer feels necessary would request the employee to update?

So to answer the original question.. yes a CRB is "out of date" and a DBS is recommended.. and this DBS should apply to any role taken?! See i am still confused here!

But when schools take a trainee they do not do their own check again or am I wrong? When I did university placements neither university nor schools did the checks on me. I needed to bring my DBS disclosure when applied for the EYT course but as I said it was my DBS and no update services. Maybe it was because I was not a permanent staff? Very confusing.

As a committee member her CRB will be as a volunteer not as a member of staff and as such should have only cost an admin fee of £8 plus £13 for the update service.

DBS checks once issued, gives the individual the opportunity to join the update service as long as it is done within 19 days of the number being issued - a very simple process of registering with the update service on line for a yearly fee of £13.

From then on as I understand it, if that individual moves to other employment within the childrens workforce (section ticked when completing DBS) the new employer can use the update service to check the state of the DBS without the need for the individual to buy a new one!

Not sure if the update service fee is transferable mind you!!

• Like 3

This is all about as clear as mud isn't it :blink:

My staff member is only getting a DBS as she is a general committee member and Ofsted have said she isn't covered with her CRB anymore.

When you are applying for a DBS as a commitee member it does ask the question 'do you work directly with the children and counted in ratio' which she has put 'yes' too as she's staff - will have to wait and see what happens.

It's enough to drive you mad :unsure:

They may say she has to complete a medical form / check. My deputy had to when she joined the committee. It cost about £90 for her medical practice to sign !!

How ridiculous, £90 on top of the £52 for a DBS then however much for update service - all because Ofsted have decided to move the goal posts :angry: :angry:

• Like 3

Not sure if it's any member of staff or whether it's because she went on as chair (although NOT the nominated person). This was about 3 years ago. She was on the committee for a year so that we could continue to run! I haven't looked to see if this is still relevant???

Why on earth would they need a deputy to have a health check to go on a committee when they don't need one to be the deputy (please tell me mine isn't the only deputy without one) non staff don't need one to be on the committee ....this is ludicrous :,(

Not only Deputy without health check none of us (staff or committee) have a health check - we do sign a declaration at our supervisions 3 times a year to say as far as we know we are ok to work, but that is it

Not only Deputy without health check none of us (staff or committee) have a health check - we do sign a declaration at our supervisions 3 times a year to say as far as we know we are ok to work, but that is it

No Health checks for us - however, does anyone else remember that at least a million years ago we had to have chest x-rays - it was to screen for TB.......you would, I suspect have to be at least as ancient as me - I am 103 :ph34r: anyway wonder why that was deemed unnecessary - no t that I'm complaining you understand :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No Health checks for us - however, does anyone else remember that at least a million years ago we had to have chest x-rays - it was to screen for TB.......you would, I suspect have to be at least as ancient as me - I am 103 :ph34r: anyway wonder why that was deemed unnecessary - no t that I'm complaining you understand :rolleyes:

I've always thought you sound like you're 21 just like me ;) ::1a

My husband is amazed by the fact that we should be doing Health Checks via the doctors - his question is for what is the purpose?

• Like 1

We just had Ofsted 2 weeks ago. My CRB is from 2002 and she was fine with it. The main think she wanted for committee members, even if they were staff was an EY2. She said a DBS/CRB gave some information but the EY2 allowed Ofsted to do other checks.

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1