Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing info with other settings

Hi

Well I have quite a few children that only do 1 session per week with us but go to another day nursery. I always try to make connections with the other nurseries (generally email) and get so far but then dont actually receive any info from them. I do then feel like not sharing the info that I have on the child as its not fair (stomps feet/throws tantrum)!! I have sent info through twice about one child and never even had acknowledgment.

What things are you sharing with other settings and what format does it take?

I would like something that is easy and quick.

Do you share next steps or just development levels. If I had any real concerns then I would be speaking to parents and working with other settings.

Just annoys me in that the above day nursery got inadequate for working with other professionals and then 3 months later got good...did I notice any difference to my requests????

We find the same , if we receive no response after 2 attempts I phone them. I also involve the parents - show them the info I'm sending , and show them what info we have received - if we haven't received any I ask the parents to chase it up .

we do term,y summative assessments with next steps - and send a copy of that- we also try to get a visit ' in person ' - but it's not easy.

I sent 6 letters / summatives last term - only had 1 reply.

I also keep note of all dates of correspondence sent and received.

Marley, what you describe seems to be fairly normal I think. We have never been approached first to share information, I have always been the one to approach first. Some of these settings I know very well, they have good to outstanding inspections.

One setting in response sent a very complete booklet back, to be fair it was over the top and I was disinclined to share as much information back.

We send information about current interests, and possible next step we are looking for. We keep it friendly and chatty and easy to respond. The information is sent via the parent so that they know we are not discussing anything they don't already know about.

we try to set up home/setting books for everyone to add a bit of info to.....some are great (often child minders) but some of the nurseries can be a bit lacking in responses!! info usually given would say something like....Johnny engaged in a variety of activities today....spending lots of time in the sand pit filling and emptying his bucket and practicing making sandcastles. He joined in the singing for the first time. He tried on the toilet.

we try to avoid saying things like ....johnny really enjoyed sticking today (blinkin useless ob ...what was he sticking ....how do you know he enjoyed it...did he chose it himself...did he take two seconds to complete!!!! etc etc)

• Like 1

i do a sheet for my information sharing, its a very brief view of what the child's interests are, what they have recently achieved and what i will be focusing on next . I have had maybe one or two replies from childminders but none from other settings!!!!! i keep copies of my shared info so at least i can prove I do it if Ofsted ask!

I struggle with this sharing bit, I am quite happy to share interests etc however I have been asked by other provisions to swap profiles something that I declined.Also the sort of info I often receive is nothing but 7 boxes with strands written in, which is of no value at all. We are already aware of the stages of development !

I pride myself on the quality of our work and have found that another venue actually did nothing but copy my next steps each term word for word which I took exception to.I object to paying lip service to things when my time can be better spent within the setting working with children.

Also other providers need to understand that you need permission to share info and some families don't always give this.

Sorry to sound a bit negative but Im about adding value not just doing something for the sake of it and some of the info we get sent is just writing for the sake of it, copying out strands in a box is not in my opinion nest steps

we try to avoid saying things like ....johnny really enjoyed sticking today (blinkin useless ob ...what was he sticking ....how do you know he enjoyed it...did he chose it himself...did he take two seconds to complete!!!! etc etc)

:lol: I am sure that we were separated at birth!

• Like 2

We send the Summative assessment from Tapestry with a stamped addressed envelope for them to return the confirmation slip to say they have received our summary. Some still don't bother and as said before often these are Outstanding settings - on our previous inspection the inspector said I should ring them if they do not reply - why should we be responsible for them not responding? However, latest inspection, yesterday!! no mention of information sharing at all.

Our last inspection was in December and like you, no mention of information sharing. Yet, our previous one in 2011- the inspector suggested we 'hand delivered' to ensure it got to correct place/person or rang them to chase it up. Quite why the pressure should be on the setting sending the info is a mystery.