Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Eve- staff!

We are open until 6pm on Christmas Eve

We felt it might be fairer to have all staff in until 6pm (when we close) so we dont have any arguements! although we dont need them

I then thought about sending people home if they have for example had no sickness in 3 months or something... just trying to find a solution :)

Can anyone offer other suggestions?

What do others do?

Sickness is not a measure for reward. You can't help being ill, and indeed probably caught it from the children.

All contracted to work until 6 need to stay. If there are no children left, all leave. I would imagine it would cause really bad feeling if you let some go.

• Like 3

Hi if it is their contracted hours they cannot dictate when and how they will work them. (Maybe I've misunderstood you when you posted I'm not working Mon, Tues, Weds).

I would have all staff working until the last child goes then all home at the same time. I would also use the time to fill up resources, clean or any other tasks that need doing.

If you all start at the same time I would agree with all home together; however in Day Nurseries there is usually a shift system in operation - hardly fair to make folk work from 7.30 a.m. until 6.00 p.m.!

In that situation I would just make sure everyone worked their full shift.

Hi,

Is it not possible to find out exactly how many children will be in that day? And then do split shits eg half staff work til lunch time the other staff work the afternoon. And names can be picked out of a hat to decide who does what shift. OR staff who have o/t or annual leave get to leave early. We normally have 80 children in a day but have 17 in on xmas eve so the staff are each working 3 hours shifts. (Except management sadly) the staff are all given a list of what is expected to be done before they leave and if it's not done they can't go.

It just seems a shame if it's quiet or not all staff are needed not to let them have a little time off when they work so hard for the rest of the year.

Merry Christmas all

Yes they refused.....generally 'anti' anyway so just as well..as perhaps only 10-15 children in instead of 30....so just 3 of us in for the 3 days...better really...calm down before christmas....catch up xx

Wish you all a very merry christmas if you finished today xx

Last year we were open till 8am-6pm, had one member of staff complaining that they wanted to be on the early shift, which just made me insist everyone did 8am-6pm, usually they do shifts, 8-5 and 9-6. Most kids went home early and the last one was gone by 5:30 so all staff got to go then. This year we are closing half day (whingy member no longer with us!) solves a lot of problems.

In theory we are here until 6.00pm and on Christmas Eve usually all start and finish at the same time to avoid any arguments. However, this year I have someone (a very hard worker) ask for a half day in order to travel to family for Christmas, which I have agreed to. Some of my part time staff are due to work all day, and as numbers are so low I have given a couple of others a half day too (which is part of our normal shift pattern so hopefully doesn't look like favouritism!) We have asked all the parents what time they are picking up and the latest appears to be just after 4pm, so the rest of us get to go early anyway!

Have you asked everyone if they mind working it or not? I may well be outlier but I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest about working late on Christmas Eve - there are no children in my house and I'm getting paid. So I'd be quite happy to go home late so that someone else can spend Christmas Eve with their children. If there are a couple of people who aren't particularly bothered and are happy to do that it might save arguments and prevent people being in unnecessarily

Also, maybe I'd be a mean manager, but I don't think I'd be too fond of my staff telling me they were not coming in just because they did not want to. Not acceptable I don't think