Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

mixing 2s and 3s

yes all of ours are together...though we only take from 2 and a half...as long as you have risk assessed play they will have no issue with it!

Exactly that for us too - never been a problem!

I see it as a really positive experience for both age groups :1b

We have no choice as we only have one room!

As long as risks are assessed properly, and experiences are planned appropriately for the differing ages, there's not a problem at all :1b

As long as you've followed the statutory requirements from the EYFS regarding risk assessments and staff ratios etc, and you've ensured that your activities and resources are age appropriate, you'll be fine. My last setting was 0-2 then 2-5 rooms, and my current setting has mixed aged rooms too (0-18, 18-30, 30-39, 39+)

• 3 weeks later...

If you read https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/teaching-and-play-in-the-early-years-a-balancing-actyou will see that the Ofsted survey showed it has a positive impact on children.

Cx

I like this document although I'm a bit confused about the part where it says the settings with the most progress for 2 years have up to 100% teacher-led learning. But then goes on to use the term teacher-supported. I am assuming that they are not suggesting that we should be only allowing our 2 years old to engage in an activity set up by the teacher but that we should be providing a lot of teacher-child interactions where teachers are ceasing the 'teachable moment??' It's a it strange because at the beginning it talks about how using the terms 'teacher-led and child-led' is not useful as it's more a continuum but then goes on to use those terms!

Green Hippo x

Hi we had our inspection on Tuesday, really lovely inspector who was with us for 7 long hours!! But we mix 2,3 & 4 year olds and she said she preferred this, said it has been proven that 2 year olds benefit from being with the older children rather than being segregated. As long as you can show why you do something it's fine.

• Like 1