Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

excited !

blondie

i remember a thread a few weeks ago about cooking with the children and I mentioned that we didn't have access to a cooker - well after a few chats with the head at our school (we are based in a classroom but independent from the school) we are now able to use their cooker.

it is in a room next door to ours but it will be great.

i now have lots of questions -

how often do you do cooking activities?

how do you make sure all are able to access if they want (which they will)?

how many children do you cook with?

what sort of things do you cook?

how do you start - simple like a cake mix so children get used to activity?

if anyone has ideas etc they will be gratefully be received - even pm me if too much info -thank you in advance. :D

Hooray for cooking! Glad you've found a way.

We cook about every other week. We make cakes, biscuits (sweet and savoury), scones, soup, pizza, bread, tarts, muffins and lots more. We don't use ready made mixes other than sometimes using bread mix. We usually cook with about 4 - 6 at a time. As children get older and more capable, we try to get them to do as much as they can by themselves and have made some very simple recipe cards that they can follow. Have fun!

Hooray for cooking! Glad you've found a way.

We cook about every other week. We make cakes, biscuits (sweet and savoury), scones, soup, pizza, bread, tarts, muffins and lots more. We don't use ready made mixes other than sometimes using bread mix. We usually cook with about 4 - 6 at a time. As children get older and more capable, we try to get them to do as much as they can by themselves and have made some very simple recipe cards that they can follow. Have fun!

would you mind me having a look at these stargrower?

anyone else with cards/ideas please?

We cook once or twice a week.

I try to plan alternative sweet and savoury.

One big issue to get over is parents. Not every child will cook in one session. It is more important that a small group start and finish the activity and have adult time. So if you choose to so the same make sure parents know this so that whine child goes home saying thy did not have a turn parent is already on your side.

We do simple things like fruit kebabs. Last couple of weeks children have been and picked apples from tree and mad made crumble. Lovely.

Veg soup has been popular too in the pat

Good luck

We used to cook once a week but the cooker is broken and needs looking at but as usual the Church (who I rent from) are dragging their feet. At the moment we can use the grill so we make pizzas and cinnamon shaped toast (bear snack) and crumble castle toast

We make sandwiches for snack as well as tuna pasta salad, fruit kebabs and flying saucer pitta pockets.

Before the oven broke down, we cooked all sorts. Bread, using bread mix, making snails, caterpillars, etc, bake and take cakes, Christmas cakes, ginger bread people, other biscuits, scones, etc.

I have the recipes for cheese palmiers and Polish Kolaczki which we will make once the oven is repaired.

V

can I ask if anyone has any good ideas for funding the cooking sessions?

I love cooking and my background was in catering so we would do it often if we could but the cost of ingredients for 60 children per session is just too much.I already get the parents to provide some of the snack stuff so I don't think I can get them to pay for this too

can I ask if anyone has any good ideas for funding the cooking sessions?

I love cooking and my background was in catering so we would do it often if we could but the cost of ingredients for 60 children per session is just too much.I already get the parents to provide some of the snack stuff so I don't think I can get them to pay for this too

How about approaching a friendly local retailer? I know our Tesco has a farm to fork thing going on with local school children - maybe they would sponsor your children in their cooking if you could make a link to healthy eating etc.

• Like 1

How about approaching a friendly local retailer? I know our Tesco has a farm to fork thing going on with local school children - maybe they would sponsor your children in their cooking if you could make a link to healthy eating etc.

certainly worth a try..we have a budgens opened locally but i'm already availing myself of a discount from them!

Yes I have heard Tescos do this too. We also have over 60 children so costs are a huge factor for us too. Will be interested in other replies.

We cook once a half-term through a particular week so everyone has the opportunity to have ago. We have a magic list which we explain to the children each day and that it has all the childrens and staffs names on and that we will all get a turn. We have approximately 10 children at a time with three staff. We make scrummy veg soup, pitta bread pizzas, cookies, gingerbread people, bread, fruit salad( not technically cooking but great opportunities for slicing and chopping.). We used to make bird cakes too but now have to be careful with allergies, mince pies, healthy sandwiches.

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

Maybe local Co-ops? They collect for local charities.

Maybe put a 'shopping list' of ingredients up for parents once a half term. Even if you only get a few things it will help with budget.

Apply to cash and carry to reduce costs by buying in bulk? - not always cheaper and you need storage.

• Like 1