Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

long observations- tapestry

hi, we have just started to use tapestry at our nursery and would like to know how everybody carries out a long observation using tapestry? we use ipods and ipads to upload short picture observations onto children's journeys but are struggling to think of how we can put long observations to the journeys. as it would take very long and would be difficult to track children through the room as while typing onto an ipod.

any suggestions of how you do this would be appreciated!

thank you, Lily.

I like videos but not any use for printed copies :rolleyes: although you can then take all the assessments out of the video and not need to miss things writing up in real time.

Also videos might cut down the paperwork altogether.. simply take video then add assessments add maybe a few words if you feel the need. Then add next steps of your own or use tapestry's, if enough data is already in the system, then include in next weeks environmental plan..then RAVE.. repeat B)

- somehow it wont be that simple for all settings so please let me know what i missed.

• Like 1

No we don't do them! Spend time with children instead! Only ever do long obs when assessing a child showing social communication delay or behaviour issues. Then we would just handwrite for our assessment file - not for Tapestry!

Like the video idea though.

When we do them, and it's an as needed thing, we use the laptop to type up on. Tends to be for children with intermittent attendance that we've got short but possibly random obs for, so do a summative observation about them.

Or we'll get the photos or videos on the ipad with a quick note of what was happening and edit with the laptop to put into grammatically sensible paragraphs ^_^

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, Katieskindercare, some good suggestions there about long observations. How long would you normally spend doing an observation, and do you feel you get more information from them than doing several shorter ones?

I only ever did a long observation if I was concerned about a child for some reason, and then I found it easier to do specific shorter ones anyway rather than commit myself to trailing around with a notebook and pencil for ages, thus not making myself available to any other child who needed me - and you could guarantee there would be a toilet incident, or someone at the door or a catastrophe in the water tray the minute I started doing one!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)