Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2015

Froglet

Okay........so Marie.......wasn't she the contestant that was causing controversy last week when it was revealed that 'all bets were off' as to the eventual winner :blink: or did i just dream that......

Get baking young froglet! :D

Is that one of those Sunnyday instructions that I must follow?! ;)

I don't know about Marie - totally avoided looking for any of the rumours as I didn't want to know!

Ahem - please follow all of my instructions without question! ;)xD

Am making my shopping list for ingredients for gingerbread biscotti right now! Am going to stay with a friend for a few days tomorrow so thought they might be a nice treat to take. Have just been invited to go and play with my niece and nephew though so clearly that takes priority. TDL... what's that? Ah, well, it will all get done eventually!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Panders - my first thought on seeing 'gluten free ' for next week was must make sure Cait knows! Right decision for Sandy but I will miss her. I don't think I've ever had crème brûlée but I really want to have a go at making one!

I had it -some years ago in an extremely posh restaurant in London - yum yum - worth having a go Froglet. Mine was just straightforward though none of this berries and whatever in it/

• Like 2

Looking forward to next week! Would be good if they had the challenge of more than bread. Dealing with GF pastry can be challenging too, so it would have been good to see a sweet pie, a bread and some sort of cake or biscuit. Perhaps next year they will open up the challenge a bit. Coeliac UK have been involved in advising behind the scenes.

• Like 1

So how was gluten free for you Cait? I'm really pleased for Nadiya although when she mentioned using basil seeds I thought straight away of the forum and that gloopy stuff! Wasn't convinced about the ice cream roll - kept feeling like the baked part should be free from something rather than the ice cream.

Well, I thought there was far more challenging gluten free things in daily use that they could have chosen to really help folk learn something useful. But it's a start, and maybe in future years there will be more things.

I also thought of the hairy basil seeds for the gak too!

Didn't the cake have to be dairy free too? I heard someone saying about fat free mixture.

Edited by Cait

Well, I thought there was far more challenging gluten free things in daily use that they could have chosen to really help folk learn something useful. But it's a start, and maybe in future years there will be more things.

I also thought of the hairy basil seeds for the gak too!

Didn't the cake have to be dairy free too? I heard someone saying about fat free mixture.

Ah, I hadn't realised that - makes more sense. It might have been nice to make the gluten free challenge the signature bake. Yes, they would have had a chance to research and practise etc. but it might have been nice to see GF being 'successful'. Having it as the technical did show how hard cooking GF can be. I confess I've never tried but as with most Bake Off things I'm really tempted to have a go!

I have done a few gluten free cakes.. surprisingly successfully,

Hubby loves a banana cake that I make, more dense than a cake very 'pudding' like, but it is sugar free, gluten free, and egg free... the oddest thing I have ever baked and no one was more surprised than me when it worked B) (I bake it in a shallow cake tin)

Not sure I would use basil seeds - chia seeds have the same properties and I use those quite a lot.

I do think the sugar free ones were a cop out.. all the alternatives they used were sugar in a liquid form , all high fructose and not sugar free.. It is really hard to make a real sugar free cake..

Been on a sugar free diet for ages now and while the weight loss is brilliant without the calorie counting, plus reversal of health issues - so experimenting baking without sugar and had more fails than successes. :(

Edited by Inge

I can't imagine how you would make a true 'without sugar ' cake.

It is possible.I have done it.. .Truvia and other natural sweeteners are available.. I use xylitol - the recipe I posted has no eggs , that I thought really impossible.

Did you notice that neither Paul of Mary actually tasted the bread either, they just opened them up to see if they had a pocket! Obviously couldn't bring themselves to actually comment on the taste!

• Like 2

I know but I was glad Nadiya was ok - she makes me smile!

There is a bit of me that still thinks some of it is just too fancy. I would like to see how they compared with each other on a good plain loaf of bread! I think the different things like flaounes are interesting but feel like some of the ingredients and techniques are so far out of reach of most 'normal ' bakers. Hope they do a masterclass again and cover some of these things in it.

• Like 1

Yes, also glad that Nadiya is safe for another week. I think if I had been her I would have been tempted to make at least some vol-au-vents out of that pastry she discarded, then at least she would have had time to fill those, if they did work out ok

Yes, also glad that Nadiya is safe for another week. I think if I had been her I would have been tempted to make at least some vol-au-vents out of that pastry she discarded, then at least she would have had time to fill those, if they did work out ok

I know time was tight - but why didn't she keep both lots of pastry and bake both - I don't see how she had time to make a second batch anyway, flaky pastry just takes such a long time.

she abandoned it because it had a mottled appearance as she was rolling it out the last time... my thoughts were it would do as by then the butter would be well distributed giving it that look.. and would have cooked some to try it out..

she could be trying to make batch 2 while they were cooking, but fully expect it would have worked fine..

At school we were taught to make it using the dots of butter and folding for a few layers not the one they all do now with a block of butter.. and it always turned out perfectly.

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1