Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SEEING RED!

blondie

Today I dropped off our learning journies to a local primary school - as I put them down the reception teacher said

"oh we don't really need to look at those, as long as you have the ecat"

I replied "a lot of hard work has gone into those" and walked off before I said anything else!!!!!

How dare she belittle the hard work our setting has done with these books and children !!!

Has anyone else had that sort of reply?

• Like 1

Oh Dear Blondie, what a horrid thing to have happened. These days I must admit I send the Transition Reports to the Headteachers, and tell the parents to leave the Learning Journeys until they have their home visit from the teacher.

• Like 1

Yes, our children take them home as they are their property, after all. We suggest to parents that they share with the teacher during home visits. The teachers have seen them during their visits, but it's nice to see the completed whole. All the school gets is the overview of attainment and a copy of the final report to parents.

Same as Cait - the books go home with children. The teachers do look through them when they visit us.

We do make a very simple transition book which goes to school, this is all simply 'work' that they have done themselves in the last half term .

This booklet comprises of anything from 1 - 8 , A5 pages (usually 4/5)

Very simple- 'This is me, I like', ect

We have only every had positive feedback from teachers - I guess it because it simple.

• Like 1

Ours go to school too Blondie and I get mixed reception from teachers but since we do not have any transition documents in our borough then I feel it's important for the school to have the info. We include letters from SALT and other support agencies and it has notes in it about particular difficulties a child might have had. Most of our local schools now share these with the children at the beginning of term and then send back to the parents. Always interesting when I go to new settings....they seem surprised that i'm giving them any info!

Ours go to school too Blondie and I get mixed reception from teachers but since we do not have any transition documents in our borough then I feel it's important for the school to have the info. We include letters from SALT and other support agencies and it has notes in it about particular difficulties a child might have had. Most of our local schools now share these with the children at the beginning of term and then send back to the parents. Always interesting when I go to new settings....they seem surprised that i'm giving them any info!

Ohpps meant to add- our has a front sheet with important info like SALT, other agencies involved etc. We do not have official transition documents either. which is why we devised our own booklet. Some of our school ask for our last terms tracking information.

I guess we are lucky to only have 2-3 main feeder schools, so have been able to build excellent relationships over the years, and we have now come up with our own sharing systems that works for us.

well I've sent to 10 schools this year again.....and not always the same ones!!! I guess that's what you get when you are sitting on the edge of 3 lea's and in a busy area! One of them is a brand new school and I've had no contact at all so that's always a bit of a challenge.

thanks for the replies - it is also interesting that this school which is on our door step does not make any visits to us to meet the children moving onto them (approx 40 of the 60 they take)so think this is their problem not ours. we can only do so much - i have invited them to come and visit children, read a story etc and meet a very challenging child -one visit of 5 minutes was all we got.

we will be using tapestry from september - not sure how we will do end of year but looking forward to using tapestry

• Like 1

Our children take theirs home when they leave our setting and the school gets the transition record. We are fortunate that most of our children go to the school we are attached to so the reception teacher can see the children's work through out the year. As we will now be using Tapestry we won't have the learning journeys to send home. We value the learning journeys so do the children and parents and if some reception teachers aren't interested in looking at them then that's their loss and they will miss how much the children have developed whilst in our settings.

• Like 1