Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Healthy treats to celebrate birthdays

Hello again,

I am taking over the managers role and I have a long (to do/to change )list so that's lots for me to focus on but I really wanted to know what other settings do when celebrating birthdays.

I do not think sharing 3 or 4 smarties with the children after singing happy birthday is good role modelling and I feel this habit needs to be changed.

What does everyone else do? We already do use healthy snacks during the session but I'm thinking of a treat for these occasions.

Thanks

Sorry but we used to get a cake in. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching children that treats (whether it be cake or sweets) are fine in moderation on special occasions.

• Like 5

Hah it was similar when I took over , one chocolate button per child !

We celebrate birthdays by asking the birthday child to choose a friend and they go into kitchen and bake cakes and then we have a group snack and they hand them out, sing and sign happy birthday and they have another cake to blow candles out . Then are given present and card.

If we have any dietary issues we ask parents to bring in alternative ingredients.

We discourage parents brining ing in sweets to give out and they are more than happy with this.

• Like 3

I had a polystyrene cake that was iced properly. We had candles in and on the child's birthday we sang and they blew the candles out. (Photo opportunity) Parents brought in cake to share, or buns to add to our fruit snack. We didn't provide the cake.

Edit to add that not all parents brought in cake, and that was fine, the act of singing and blowing out candles seemed to be sufficient.

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

Hi we have a wooden cake and we sing and the child blows out the candles. We also discourage sweets and suggest some lovely fruit for snack time to share. Have to say it's been mixed on parents views on this, Some are very happy to work with us. Others are miffed but hey ho, can't please everybody. The reasons we stopped the giving out of sweets were, we have children with allergies, cultural beliefs, and some parents yes I can say it didn't want them having them (hooray).

• Like 1

We sing happy birthday at circle time. The parents bring in whatever treat they want to give out (this could be cake, sweets or fruit) which the child gives out - special blinged-up table - at the very end of session as the children leave.

Works well for us, we have a little talk about 'listening to parents/careers' etc - so it up to parents when/if they eat them.

We do not do candles due to fire-risk in our tinderbox building! :D

• Like 1

Well I go with the flow! Parents may provide a cake, or a sweet treat to go home with, or if we have 3 birthdays in one week I do say it would be better to bring in a treat fruit for snack times as , 3 lots of cake or sweets to go home with is OTT. If parent doesn't provide anything at all, tricky, but we do provide a nice biscuit at snack time ourselves (keep a packet just in case). Similarly if parent forgets to bring in sweets who had said they would, I have a dip box of sweets the children can be offered.

Birthdays are special, super special at ours, they one get one per year and I can see no wrong in offering a treat, in fact, we also give them a mini party where the last hour is given over to the birthday child for their birthday snack time, candle blowing on fake cake if necessary, party games for all and then pressie, card and balloon for birthday child. :o:D:D:D

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah we also do singing at circle time and any sweets or cakes from parents are either popped in their going home trays or handed out by the child at home time.

Having a wooden birthday cake seems like a lovely idea and also making the fairy cakes to share. I'm not a killjoy for sweets but I feel I need to take every opportunity to provide healthy lifestyle options within my preschool.

I've also been looking at some birthday hats so the child can wear the hat if they want during the session and it will give them a sense of pride on their birthday.

Thanks everyone

I agree with previous posters.

Children grow up in a world where they see sweet treats and people eating them on a daily basis. Part of the adult role is to teach them how to incorporate them into a healthy, balance diet. You can't do that if you ban sweet treats from the setting altogether.

• Like 2

AS we try to provide a healthy, balanced snack time AND encourage children to eat their 'treat' items after the healthier things in their lunch boxes, I don't see any harm in having a cake for their birthday. And yes, we have real candles too :)

• Like 2

At circle time the 'birthday child' is invited to sit on chair (they don't have to) they are given a card, we all sing happy birthday then all clap for number of years eg. 4 years old - 4 claps. Parents can bring cakes or treats in subject to any allergies etc.

We banned sweets to take home, not on health grounds but because we had a losing battle with the litter created.

However, birthdays are special and children enjoy sharing their day - we have biscuits as well as fruit during the day and a birthday hat to wear when we sing Happy Birthday, and through the day if they wish. There is a 'it's my birthday' badge instead if they prefer. Everyone - dinner ladies, cleaners, office staff) - makes a fuss of the child. Then there's a card to take home.

Children who have birthdays in the holidays still get their card but, sadly, miss out on the fuss.

It always amazes me how many children don't know that it is their birthday until we tell them at school! And very few can say when their birthday is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)