Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

WWYD?

OH this squash battle continues! I have said that we only have water and milk in nursery now and parents can just bring water.I have had huge opposition to this. This AM a mum said her child has a cough so he needs the juice so as he will drink it,I have said no we will monitor him drinking water.wwyd?

There's a fine line between parental choice and setting policy here and lots of parents seem to find no squash rules hard to accept.

If he has a tickly throat I would imagine he will happily take a sip of water. If you notice him coughing a lot and he won't take the water, could you provide him with a little squash to drink in the kitchen perhaps?

I decided early on that my carpets wouldn't take kindly to childminded children walking around with bottles of squash, to say nothing of the effect on their teeth so I've only ever allowed squash at mealtimes. I've always found that children soon come around to the idea of drinking water when squash isn't available, although their parents often take a little longer and worry that their child will become dehydrated.

I would feedback, at the end of the session, how much water he has drunk so she knows that you've been active in ensuring that he was getting what he needed.

• Like 3

Milk or water only at my setting - the children will dob their parents in it if they find squash in their bottles and EVERY time it happens parents are challenged. Like lashes says they picked your setting for the service you offer - I always tell my parents that other settings are available!!

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before, but I remind parents that all drink bottles are free access, and if a child 'sniffs out' juice in bottle they will drink regardless as to who's it is......... xDxDxD

Funnily enough this seems to have the desired affect of horrifying parents to only every putting water in!

xx

• Like 1