Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Solar eclipse risk assessment

haven't been at work for one, but have some recollection of making holes in cardboard so we could look at the image on the patio last time - it must have been a while ago as they were at Junior school!

Also remember many and dire warnings about not looking at it directly.

I think it's scheduled for about 8.30 am, so before school?

It'll be quite eerie I think.

In our area it's about 9.30 a.m., the Daily Mail suggested watching the reflection in a bucket of water! I am a little concerned about taking them outside only because I just think they will look up, I seem to remember so much more hype about the last ecliipse a few years ago. Apparently you can get glasses on Amazon or ebay but you might not be able to "trust" them! Boringly, I think we may stay inside but have the doors open and let them experience the fact that it is growing darker at that time and explain why. But would love much much better suggestions if anyone has any.

It will only be a partial eclipse, with the 'best' views up in Scotland. The further south you are the less eclipse there will be. However it will be the 'most eclipse' we will see in the UK until 2026, and then a complete total in 2090 (dont think Ill worry about that one!)

It starts around 8.30, with the highest amount of eclipsing being around 9.30 and will all be over by 10.30.

To be honest, current forecasts for Friday are cloudy, so possibly not that much to see. Could all change by then, but at this time of year unless its quite sunny, you'll just see an eery darkness ascending. The last one we got all excited about was in the height of summer and in my neck of the woods it was cloudy.

Nevertheless, I love events like this, so Ill still be outside waiting!

• Like 1

I remember being a bit disappointed by the last one.. :blink:

Yes it go a little 'darker' - but only really 'cloudy rainy day dark', and yes the birds did do a bit of extra twittering, but I'm not sure how much our younger ones would understand about it?

I do remember that one of the best places was actually under a leafy tree (that's not really going to happen though this time is it :D )... as the sun shone through the leaves it cast lots and lots of 'dark spots'.

xx

Edited by louby loo

it is a full solar eclipse, next not due U til 2026, so it's a big deal and worth celebrating.

Children's cbeebies is recommending that you look at it through a colander, they are doing a programme about the eclipse all week

We are making holes in card, needs to be a tiny pin prick

We will take ours outside to see it if it happens t the right time

This week we have done a little theme on the planets just looking at the sun, moon and earth

We have lots of space books, toy rockets etc.

And have made paper mâché planets

I won't do a risk assessment (written) we have discussed this verbally.

Edited by Suer

I think Suer means looks the pricks of light cast onto card through a colander, looking down. So hold the colander above some card and see the light that shines through the holes. Get these focused onto the card and you will see the eclipse.

I think that I have come to the conclusion that we will be outside - hope that we can experience the growing darkness - later when we are back inside we can discuss/explain what happened.........perhaps a bit of a 'cop out' but I could not bring myself to trust them not to look at the sun........and i would rather be safe than sorry........

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Moon-Marcus-Pfister/dp/1558589953/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426603207&sr=1-12&keywords=sun+and+moon

Well we have this book, which is primarily about friendship, but ends in an eclipse. It's a lovely story, but my Friday crowd might not sit through it all - will see if I can "re-write" it by Friday. We have been trying to push space a bit as adults have had enough of pirates - this has been since January and we would really like to inspire something else, have been finding as many of our space related stories as I can to put on the book shelves.