Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you pay for Bank Holidays

Just reading another thread and wondered if you pay your staff for Bank Holidays. We work on the basis that if you work that day you get paid, if you don't you don't. Holidays are to be taken during the month of August so that means we get a months pay in August otherwise we would get nothing.

There is a bank holiday coming up in May and my understanding is that we wouldn't get paid for it.

Short answer is no we don't......... should we? do other jobs pay if they are closed on a bank holiday? With 10 staff working Monday's as we have 2 rooms open it would cost us a fortune to pay when the setting isn't earning through fees and funding etc........

All staff are entitled to 20 days holiday plus 8 days bank holiday paid. If staff take the 8 days bank holiday as part of there holiday entitlement ( in August foe example) then no you don't pay them On bank holidays but if staff take 20 days holiday and bank holidays are taken on bank holidays then yes they must be paid. Hope that makes sense. I have staff that do not work Monday's but I pay them other wise we then have to fit in extra holidays when the nursery is open.

My term time only staff have chose to take 28 days pay in Aurgust so they have a wage which means not getting paid for bank holidays.

Hope that all made sense.

Zoe

My understanding is term time only are on pro rota holiday pay it is not full year allowance as you only get HP for hours worked, bank holidays are only paid if they fall within an employees normal working hours therefore any bank holidays that fall in school holidays are not paid for and if as above you do not operate on certain days such as Mondays when they fall and also if you are open but the staff member normal hours are to not work Mondays for example then there is no requirement to pay bank holiday pay for these cases. x

we never paid for BH , being term time only the May day was the only one that it involved.. we were closed for the rest so it did not really apply. It can be paid but would have been part of our Holiday pay- we were generous and paid the full entitlement there.. not reducing for pro rata.

That said , we got no funding for May Day and we had to open at some point to 'make up for' the closure or we would not be open enough days in the year, was a real pain fitting in that day somewhere so same children could access it that had been involved in the day off. either that or lose the days funding.. .. so the staff got the money but on a different day.

My understanding is term time only are on pro rota holiday pay it is not full year allowance as you only get HP for hours worked, bank holidays are only paid if they fall within an employees normal working hours therefore any bank holidays that fall in school holidays are not paid for and if as above you do not operate on certain days such as Mondays when they fall and also if you are open but the staff member normal hours are to not work Mondays for example then there is no requirement to pay bank holiday pay for these cases. x

I tried to find where this is written down but there are no rules governing term time inly staff.

There is guidance on the HP side of it but the bank Holiday bit is only my take on it, I believe in a nut shell you don't have to pay at all but I think it's right and done by lots if you normally work that day then you benefit from being paid but again completely depends on the company and their take, there are that many places that don't close for bank hols now it's more the norm for it to be include in their holiday entitlement for the year. I remember when a bank holiday used to mean everything was closed even the local shop shut at dinner, now it's just like any other day just extra sales on ha ha ha (oh I sound old :( !!!!)

• Like 1

looking at it from a different angle..as it is a one off..

What has happened other years?

would you pay it for only those involved with having a day off? or all staff?

If only those who would normally work it could be a big can of worms... as it would mean they are getting an extra day paid holiday over and above the other staff... would you allow all the other staff to take a paid day off at some point to compensate?

As I've always understood it, statutory hoilday pay is 5.6 weeks (pro rated for part time/term time etc) which CAN include the bank holidays (but some generous employers pay these on top!)

We are TTO, so only the early May bank holiday falls in a working week for us. I will be paying everyone their full holiday entitlement in August, including the bank hols, so not paying them in May for that one day.