Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New action songs and activity games

Hi,

Can anyone share any new action songs and activity games which can be planned for 2.5 - 4years.

I am finding that the staff are singing the same old songs and playing games such as 'bug in the rug' 'trains on the track'. It was fine at the beginning as it was new to the children but now they are getting bored. I have looked online and you tube. But I have not found anything :(

Ideas welcome xx

Thanks

I dont know either bug in a rug or trains on the track!!!

Favourites at the moment

What's the time Mr wolf

Duck duck goose

I'm a little sandy girl (arrggg need to stop them doing this driving me mad!)

ring a ring a rosie

and classics like five currant buns and five little ducks

ones you might want to look at blup blup went the little green frog one day.....

Chop banana

what age group ? i'm assuming 3+!

lots of scout songs online which can be adapted

Nope don't know either of them ?

Our older ones are loving just sitting around a parachute with someone hiding under it, the others take turns to think of questions we could ask to find out who it is, or what it is and staff pretend to answer for whatever object is under...usually ends up with lots of laughter :)

Mixed ages activity we do tend to stay safe with old favourites....heads/shoulders, farmers in his den, jingle jangle scarecrow, wind the bobbin up, wheels on the bus .....

we used to have a song/activity bag with items relating to the songs so children could do a lucky dip for the next song/game.. worked brilliantly in keeping them involved and joining in as they all wanted br the next to choose..

songs included

Alice the camel

Ants go marching

Do your ears hang low ( a very odd song, but they loved it!)

Head shoulders knees and toes (This was used in many languages.. parents would help with the words for the languages we had in the setting)

If your happy and you know it.. (children choose the actions) (used a picture of clapping hands for this one)

bumping up and down on the big red (or any colour chosen) tractor

5 little monkeys swinging in a tree

row row your boat

dingle dangle scarecrow

the frog song, (many variations but always a winner)

farmers in his den

elephants out to play on a web And here

5 fire fighters

incy wincy

mulberry bush

bearhunt (always very popular used to love doing this one .. my favourite,never read the book, always performed it with the children joining in )

ring a roses

over in the meadow (had a book for this one, they loved me singing it to them instead of reading it)

Wiggly woo

i am sure there are many more out there... make up a book or folder of them, keep adding to it and you end up with a huge file over time, mine was over 3 folders .. :D

• Like 1

favourites change so often, but they have liked 5 little spacemen, 2 naughty monkeys, 5 little monkeys swinging through the trees, Miss Polly had a dollly, Peter Hammers, 5 speckled frogs sat on a speckled log, 5 little pirates

I like the sound of Bug in a Rug and Trains on the Track!! Can you sing it for us? : )

We are having fun with the old Pirate theme songs at the mo....

Theres a little Pirate, sitting on the Shore

Crying, weeping, dripping on the floor (?)

Stand up pirate and wipe your tears away

Choose a friend you like the best

and then you sail away.....

La la la la la - (to the tune of the verse all way through) pirate chooses a friend, holds hands and dances around.

whole group make a circle holding hands and are the waves around the shore! Adding pirates in the middle gives opportunity for counting - we count pirates, show fingers to represent, clap and stamp the number! When we've had enough we all sit down Soooo. Lots of little pirates....dum dee dum dee dah. and everyone gets a go! Oh what a life we lead : )

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 1

I like the sound of Bug in a Rug and Trains on the Track!! Can you sing it for us? : )

We are having fun with the old Pirate theme songs at the mo....

Theres a little Pirate, sitting on the Shore

Crying, weeping, dripping on the floor (?)

Stand up pirate and wipe your tears away

Choose a friend you like the best

and then you sail away.....

La la la la la - (to the tune of the verse all way through) pirate chooses a friend, holds hands and dances around.

whole group make a circle holding hands and are the waves around the shore! Adding pirates in the middle gives opportunity for counting - we count pirates, show fingers to represent, clap and stamp the number! When we've had enough we all sit down Soooo. Lots of little pirates....dum dee dum dee dah. and everyone gets a go! Oh what a life we lead : )

AAAARRRGGGGG that's i'm a little sandy girl ...it's following me! help !!!!!!

Edited by finleysmaid
  • Like 1

Yes - although that one exhausts me, but we have 2 others with 5 little pirates standing on the shore, one dug up a treasure chest, so that left 4, 4 little pirates rowing out to see one jumped overboard so that left 3, 3 little pirates ...... that's where i forget! I also have another 5 little pirates one but don't like the wording as much.

AAAARRRGGGGG that's i'm a little sandy girl ...it's following me! help !!!!!!

Ha Ha! yay was trying to think where the tune came from.....and its That Sandy Girl!!

As I said finleysmaid - we lead a very charmed life...... : )

Yes - although that one exhausts me, but we have 2 others with 5 little pirates standing on the shore, one dug up a treasure chest, so that left 4, 4 little pirates rowing out to see one jumped overboard so that left 3, 3 little pirates ...... that's where i forget! I also have another 5 little pirates one but don't like the wording as much.

3 little pirates found a pot of glue......??

.........one got stuck in it............

Hi,

Many thanks for all your ideas......

Bug in a rug - is an action song one child will hide under a sheet, whilst you choose a children to move away from the circle (they are chosen to guess who is underneath). Then all the children will sing "Bug in a rug, bug in a rug, who's that bug in a rug" the chosen child will then guess.

Trains on the track, trains on the track, chug chug chug chug the train is on the track. Each child will join the train line and call a child to to join, to create a long train.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)