Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book recommendations...

Froglet

...for me!

I love reading - it's my escape from the world! I have loads of books but don't feel like reading any of them at the moment! I've got numerous unread books - in fact I have decided (again! :ph34r: :huh: ) that 2015 will be the year I clear the unread books - there were 35 last time I counted. I have the book for my book group which I have only just started - meeting is next Wednesday although I'm not inspired yet!

So, there's not exactly a shortage of books in my house but I'd love to hear what other people are reading at the moment. A list of things to go and read might be a motivator to finish the ones I already have!

Love a bit of fantasy Steve! Been meaning to read some more Neil Gaiman for years as the only thing of his that I have read is 'Good Omens ' that he did with Terry Pratchett.

I did read the synopsis Cait - looks good. In fact the recommendations so far may delay me finishing my unread books rather than motivating me to finish them!

Off now to read a recipe book and make a sticky marmalade tea loaf!

• Like 2

So depends what sort of thing you like young froglet.......

Before I go to Sleep - S.J. Watson

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

You have probably already read this - one of my all time faves is 'The Time Travelers Wife' - but that said I lent that to both my sister and my sister-in-law and neither of them liked it :blink:

I have just read the Girl who saved the King of Sweden and enjoyed it enormously, humourous and just when you thinkk things are going to work out, well.......

The author who wrote this has written others but sorry cannot remember his name.

Also books read on summer holiday a bit of chick lit an author called Jane Davis she has just released a box set. But I think my favourite by her is a funeral for an owl.

Let me know if you read the Jane books.

Thank you! More added to the list. And, just for an update the book group book is warming up - read the beginning and thought it was going to be dire but I usually try to stick to a policy of reading at least 100 pages before I give up on a book. However, I've now only got 117 pages to go in 2 nights and I'm pretty sure I'll make it!

I've recommended The Ocean at the End of the Lane to many people now, and they've all loved it. Depends if you're prepared to put up with a bit of fantasy though. :1b

I have it from the library (best source of books to read ever) right now!! One of my favourite books is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

Thank you! More added to the list. And, just for an update the book group book is warming up - read the beginning and thought it was going to be dire but I usually try to stick to a policy of reading at least 100 pages before I give up on a book. However, I've now only got 117 pages to go in 2 nights and I'm pretty sure I'll make it!

So what's the book??

I have just finished "Behind the beautiful forevers" written from the lives of people living in a Mumbai slum. Loved it.

Cx

• Like 1

If you like fantasy/Victorian/steampunk then I recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. A beautiful atmospheric book, well written and enthralling from the get go

I have it from the library (best source of books to read ever) right now!! One of my favourite books is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

So what's the book??

I have just finished "Behind the beautiful forevers" written from the lives of people living in a Mumbai slum. Loved it.

Cx

It's called 'The Legacy' by Katherine Webb, bit odd, bit contrived but better than first expected. Thanks for the other recommendation. I get loads from the library too - it makes me read more widely as I just choose things that look vaguely interesting but don't stress if I don't get around to reading them!

If you like fantasy/Victorian/steampunk then I recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. A beautiful atmospheric book, well written and enthralling from the get go

Have read it and absolutely loved it - some incredible images in it. I so wanted to go to the circus!

I love to read historical fiction, so have just finished Edward Rutherford's book 'London'. Although I don't live there, I still found it fascinating as each chapter focuses on a different period of the Capital's history, from Roman times to modern, tracing in novel form the same families through the generations. It made me get out the London map as it showed the gradual development of the city. Fascination - for example did you know that the Bishop of Winchester was responsible for licencing the prostitutes who 'worked' on the South Bank!?

• 5 months later...

Young froglet - I have another book recommendation for you! :1b

Hmmm wonder if you have already read it......

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I read it yesterday - did do a few other more useful things too (promise) - but really couldn't stop reading :1b

Just a note of caution - don't read if you are feeling 'fragile' - it is heartbreaking......

Young froglet - I have another book recommendation for you! :1b

Hmmm wonder if you have already read it......

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I read it yesterday - did do a few other more useful things too (promise) - but really couldn't stop reading :1b

Just a note of caution - don't read if you are feeling 'fragile' - it is heartbreaking......

Thank you! Item one on my to do list.... Read some of the 29 books on my unread books shelf! Wonder how many I can do this weekend?!