Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted visit

Well they finally turned up yesterday and it went well........just some pointers....make sure you have food hygiene ....... Staff qualifications certificates..... Safeguarding training...phone numbers for LADO........and talk as much as u can..promote yourself :1b

• Like 2

well done to you and your team.

our ofsted inspector asked for those but also asked about

sen new code of practice-what we knew about it,how we put this in our setting and how we would support parents

two year olds - how we supported these

eal - how we supported these

children at risk of delay - how we supported these

gifted children - how we extend these

she looked at books,planning and next steps of sen child, two year old and eal .

where we start our planning - obviously childs interests but wanted to know how we move the children on with the learning

looked at indoor and out door resources - asked what we were expecting children to get from these

she also asked all staff about whistle blowing and who to contact - asked me the procedure for this -we have a flow chart in our staff area which reminds staff of this.

also as a southampton setting our city coucil sends out a flyer each month which covers a safe guarding concern - physical,neglect, sexual abuse - what to look for and what to do - these are great - we have these in our staff area - she was very impressed with these.

also asked about training for staff

appraisals, one to ones

can't remember what else -she was very thorough - and as Wendy 123 says - talk,talk, talk - promote yourself - you need to say everything you do as might not have all these out/ available on the day she comes in.

Well done Wendy123

And thanks for the heads up on what they were looking for!

What time did they arrive?

Are you full day care or sessional, how long did they stay?

Turned up a t 8.40am and stayed until 2.30 we are a wrap around group doing hours to match parents needs.

well done to you and your team.

our ofsted inspector asked for those but also asked about

sen new code of practice-what we knew about it,how we put this in our setting and how we would support parents

two year olds - how we supported these

eal - how we supported these

children at risk of delay - how we supported these

gifted children - how we extend these

she looked at books,planning and next steps of sen child, two year old and eal .

where we start our planning - obviously childs interests but wanted to know how we move the children on with the learning

looked at indoor and out door resources - asked what we were expecting children to get from these

she also asked all staff about whistle blowing and who to contact - asked me the procedure for this -we have a flow chart in our staff area which reminds staff of this.

also as a southampton setting our city coucil sends out a flyer each month which covers a safe guarding concern - physical,neglect, sexual abuse - what to look for and what to do - these are great - we have these in our staff area - she was very impressed with these.

also asked about training for staff

appraisals, one to ones

can't remember what else -she was very thorough - and as Wendy 123 says - talk,talk, talk - promote yourself - you need to say everything you do as might not have all these out/ available on the day she comes in.

Its funny how each inspection seems different but I only listed the most important bits to me on the day.

Hello, Thank you all for sharing your experiences as our visit is due any time now.

Another question myself as deputy and manager are very familiar with talking the talk and highlighting the positives and giving evidence of our setting's progress etc but is it wise also introduce as many staff as possible into the conversations. Such as " having closely monitored our talking/language use and opportunities with in the setting all staff have been involved in the language monitoring tracking however my colleague XXX can now talk about S&L area she leads" then pass them onto her or would it be best for my manager and I to lead it all and provide evidence and only if Ofsted were to ask then other staff can be introduced.

Does this make sense as my worry is we do a really brilliant job and I'm so proud of what the team has achieved. We work as a strong team and this is what gives everyone confidence but I may need to prep my team more for these individual scenarios that may arise. We are now very confidence in buddying each other, peer observations and joint observations but I'm always thinking of more ways to equip their skills, abilities and behaviours.

I am really trying to cover all bases plus I worry almost all of the time.

Thank you

I worry that we don't do enough well hardly any peer and joint observations, and it always seems to come down to time constraints and ratio's, how do others manage this, how often does this happen in your setting ? ...I find more and more that because I'm asking staff to do this I end up covering them for things like this or LJ time, I try and get supervisions in each half term, but thinking of making this termly, would be interested to know if others find this an issue.

I worry that we don't do enough well hardly any peer and joint observations, and it always seems to come down to time constraints and ratio's, how do others manage this, how often does this happen in your setting ? ...I find more and more that because I'm asking staff to do this I end up covering them for things like this or LJ time, I try and get supervisions in each half term, but thinking of making this termly, would be interested to know if others find this an issue.

I've no time to do peer obs either - when you're only open 3hours there's only so much you can fit in!

I do 2 supervision meetings and 1 appraisal a year

• Like 1

Thanks thumperrabbit that would be better, as much as I see the value in 'supervising to safeguard' I would not expect my staff and know they wouldn't wait till their next meeting to raise any concerns, as soon as they have worries whether safeguarding or development they bring it up straight away :)

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

I have always on arrival of an inspector done sign in then taken them where they will be and put there bags then offer a drink! It's very rarely turned down in my experience even if it's just water. This then gives you two mins to go into kitchen/room jump up and down on spot mumbling oh my god, oh my god, then compose and return with drink in hand and a more much more calmer outlook (method in the madness)

Peer:peer obs I do 5 mins on each staff member I try to do fortnightly but realistically it's three weekly these snapshots are enough for me at minuet if I was to do 10min or more I would never do them so I choose to be realistic. I can have 6/7 staff to do but as I choose to only do 5 mins it fits in well, we are only doing me observing them currently then very very soon branching out into more peer:peer again it will be an achievable time set. I do Half termly 1:1's (at minimum it's termly if it's too busy to incorporate) no appraisals and the staff set personal development targets from the peer:peer obs x

• Like 1

We're trying to get peer on peer observations off the ground but with 3 staff on maternity leave and being replaced by 2 temporary staff (one is the manager, so it's just been move along the bus please there) it's been increasingly difficult as we've been busy settling new staff in.