Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food hygiene ?

All my staff have Food Hygiene certificate. We help children prepare snack of fruit, toast etc and we do baking activities so thought it was relevant to us. There is something in the welfare requirements about it. We accessed training from the PS L A online training £18 per person and can do training on line at home.

We now only have 2 members of staff who go on training then cascade it back to the rest of the staff team - it was getting so expensive otherwise (there are 11 of us) I checked this was ok with council and EYA and locally they said it is what most settings do :)

We only provide fruit, crackers, cheese etc for snack and do cooking with the children so so much of the course was not relevent to us anyway.

Although I must add that everyone has attended training at some point or other so the cascading is kind of like a refresher

Did you do your online training through PLA?

We have 5 of us who need to do it in 2 months time

No did the National day nursery one.....NDNA £12 plus vat but do give discount on more than 4 I think. You get 31 days to complete it but its multiple choice and easy....Google NDNA food hygiene and you will find it..... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Our local EHO said all staff should undertake training and it does state that in WR that all staff should undertake training , we are going to do it online

I also did NDNA course but other staff haven't (two full time one part time). We also only serve snack and packed lunches.

Sorry prob really obvious but what's WR?

Edited by MarshaD

when I questioned our EYA about all staff being trained she said that documenting the meeting where the info is cascaded to the rest of us (with names of who attended etc) IS classed as training and that it doesn't state how the training has to be gained so in house training counts too - hope that helps :)

• Like 1

I also did NDNA course but other staff haven't (two full time one part time). We also only serve snack and packed lunches.

Sorry prob really obvious but what's WR?

Welfare requirements - sorry was being lazy !

The EHO recommended all staff preparing food - we too only do snack to have it but was happy that currently only one member does , we also use the folder safer food for childminders - I got it from our local EH office and the inspector I spoke too recommended it rather than the other one as it was relevant .

It contains lots of info as well as templates for record keeping , the only thing we have further implemented was a cleaning schedule on the advice of the EHO , to show we clean surfaces before and after food prep.

3.48. There must be an area which is adequately equipped to provide healthy meals, snacks and drinks for children as necessary. There must be suitable facilities for the hygienic preparation of food for children, if necessary including suitable sterilisation equipment for babies’ food. Providers must be confident that those responsible for preparing and handling food are competent to do so. In group provision, all staff involved in preparing and handling food must receive training in food hygiene.