Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Increase in Funding

MegaMum

Just had notification from our LA we are getting an increase in funding as of the Summer Term!!!! Can't believe it, but very pleased, of course. The amount varies based on deprivation, post code etc., but at a quick look it seems as though it is going to be about 6p per child per hour - not quite the increase in minimum wage, but I am so happy to have it nevertheless.

• Like 2

We haven't heard anything yet but if we don't get an increase this year I am going to have to make some tough choices in respect of staffing to pay the pension contributions that I will have to make in October!!!!!

8p here in Birmingham, but...our council have employed an outside agency to look at our costs because they want all settings in receipt of funding to agree to pay all staff the living wage as a minimum (£7.50 ish I believe) and this will be a condition of funding.

I wish we could pay that and more but we cant hence the uproar when it was announced and the councils acceptance that they cant just throw this on us.

So our 8p might not be necessary, we might all be closing our doors instead!

Which actually wont be a bad thing...the staff are revolting again. Same old story, new manager who isnt being allowed to manage, tears all round this week!

Anyone want to be chair??

8p here in Birmingham, but...our council have employed an outside agency to look at our costs because they want all settings in receipt of funding to agree to pay all staff the living wage as a minimum (£7.50 ish I believe) and this will be a condition of funding.

Whhhhhhaaaaat???!?!?! Unbelievable. Think its time we ALL closed our doors.....before they close them for us!

Not at all unbelievable. Birmingham Council make conditions or announce conditions with no thought as to how settings will afford them.

Two years ago they added a condition that all staff and committee renewed their CRB every 3 years. We argued it wouldnt be affordable (£500+ for us) I sent email after email to the council, EY dept, PLA, DfE, and my MP with no reply from the council ever but it was suddenly not a condition anymore.

They cant surprise me anymore, we just wait for someone to see sense :D

• 3 weeks later...

The Living wage is actually £7.85 per hour which is a £1.35p increase for ALL your workers, as we will need to differentiate between experience, qualifications etc. There is NO lower wage for Level 2 or younger workers.

I have just worked out this will cost me a massive £47K extra per year. I think I read another small nursery chain will have to find £160K a year. How the hell is that going to happen.

Whhhhhhaaaaat???!?!?! Unbelievable. Think its time we ALL closed our doors.....before they close them for us!

The Living wage is actually £7.85 per hour which is a £1.35p increase for ALL your workers, as we will need to differentiate between experience, qualifications etc. There is NO lower wage for Level 2 or younger workers.

I have just worked out this will cost me a massive £47K extra per year. I think I read another small nursery chain will have to find £160K a year. How the hell is that going to happen.

£47,000!!! Are you in Birmingham?

Well we have just found out that our base rate is not going up (same as we got in 2010) but we will get slightly more per child for various factors:

flexibility (yet to be determined) extra 5p per hour per child

ofsted outcome (good/outstanding) extra 5/6p

graduate led - forgotten but similar to above

and of course the massive 53p pupil premium but as it is looking like it is going to be based on same as 2 yr funding we will only get half a dozen (if that) at any one time) and also wont know from year to year who or how many qualify.

Maybe not as good as it all sounds thou as for the last 5/6 years our LA has always paid 1300£ to settings as a lump sum in the summer term for admin stuff plus an additional £750 for L4 £3k for L5 & around £5k for L6 or QT and this will all now stop. I'm going to sit down and work out roughly how much we will be getting (if I can) As we offer a lot more than 15 hours and a choice of days/sessions I'm hoping we will be classed as flexible.

Edited by lynned55

Well we have just found out that our base rate is not going up (same as we got in 2010) but we will get slightly more per child for various factors:

flexibility (yet to be determined) extra 5p per hour per child

ofsted outcome (good/outstanding) extra 5/6p

graduate led - forgotten but similar to above

and of course the massive 53p pupil premium but as it is looking like it is going to be based on same as 2 yr funding we will only get half a dozen (if that) at any one time) and also wont know from year to year who or how many qualify.

Maybe not as good as it all sounds thou as for the last 5/6 years our LA has always paid 1300£ to settings as a lump sum in the summer term for admin stuff plus an additional £750 for L4 £3k for L5 & around £5k for L6 or QT and this will all now stop. I'm going to sit down and work out roughly how much we will be getting (if I can) As we offer a lot more than 15 hours and a choice of days/sessions I'm hoping we will be classed as flexible.

Hi glad to hear that your payments went on for 5/6 years....we have never had payments like that (in Suffolk) would be intersting to hear where you are based..BUT our hourly funded rate is based on the highest qualified member of staff so I suppose it is swings and roundabouts....at mo we get £4 hour but no information yet re any increase....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)