Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

CRB Checks

What is everyone's understanding of the expiery date the old crbs. I thought it was recommended every 3 years. We are in the process of changing everyone over to DBS but if you had staff member over the 3 years would you allow them to still change nappies etc.

Yes definitely (well I use definitely In the essence that yearly check is asked if they need to declare anything etc and you have no concerns) I have quite a few who's are 4/5+ years we are one by one going through them but not at no great rush. It's good practice to have had them done every three years but that's out of window pritty much now. Crb checks are only as good as the day they were issued (excluding obviously managers etc who are checked through Ofsted).

Edited by Foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Well I dont even have one :o:o

I have a fit person letter from the old SS days and again a letter from Ofsted on file stating that we dont need to get them redone. However they tend not to tell their inspectors this. Had a couple of run ins with inspectors over it.

My staff have been with me for so long that I have only 3 out of 8 staff with CRB's so I would be in big trouble if it was just them that changed nappies etc.

• Like 1

My original CRB for playgroup is around 11 years old. Ofsted have never queried my status as manager, committee, then chair. Its down to trust, do you trust this staff member? If so carry on, if not its worth looking at more than just a CRB :1b

Just want to point out as some people may read and feel that this is normal for all crb/DBS checks call me over precautions lol ! crb/dbs carried out by Ofsted for managers, committee members etc are always valid as they are done in cooperation with other agencies so anything that needed flagging up that you did in your present time would be flagged as it's always live; which is very much different to crb/DBS checks done by managers on staff as these go through the process and through other agencies but once completed that's it there is no live status which means they are only as good as the day they passed through that agency which then leaves it to you on the keeping a check and trust side of it.

Sorry I know most of you know this but paranoia set in ha ha ha ?

There is No requirement to repeat checks every 3 years. Page 18 of statutory framework actually states at the bottom (13 - the requirement for a criminal records check will be deemed to have been met in respect of all people living or working in childcare settings, whose suitability was checked by ofsted or local authority before Oct 2005.

Ahem.......some of us are still working on our original Police Checks - well only those of us that are at least 103 years old :ph34r:

Ha! Police checks......I remember them! When life was simple! And managing a setting was fun!......

• Like 4