Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cream of tartar

Does anyone know where cream of tartar can be bought for playdough making it seems to be impossible to buy anymore in the supermarkets and having introduced my children to dough disco this term I am anxious to replenish my stash?

Thanks in advance

You can substitute lemon juice, but the dough doesn't keep - we find it goes sticky overnight.

I haven't been able to get it in tubs from Tesco for a year or so. We order ours from Cosy but they're not very reliable and can be slow to deliver. I'll try the suggestions above!

I thought salt was the preservative? I know if I've made it without c.o.t then it's not as strongly bound together

Yes, I agree - the salt preserves and the cream of tartar prevents the dough from being sticky. On occasions when it has been omitted it has been unusable (when making the cooked dough, that is). We don't tend to use traditional playdough any more because of the salt which can sting those with cuts or eczema - we use breadmix.

I thought salt was the preservative? I know if I've made it without c.o.t then it's not as strongly bound together

Yes, I agree - the salt preserves and the cream of tartar prevents the dough from being sticky. On occasions when it has been omitted it has been unusable (when making the cooked dough, that is). We don't tend to use traditional playdough any more because of the salt which can sting those with cuts or eczema - we use breadmix.

well ladies having done a bit of research it appears that we are all right!!! :blink: xD the following is just one of many repliesand it appears that it is both used to bond and to preserve

http://scrumdillydo.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/what-with-cream-of-tartar.html

Edited by finleysmaid

Does anyone know where cream of tartar can be bought for playdough making it seems to be impossible to buy anymore in the supermarkets and having introduced my children to dough disco this term I am anxious to replenish my stash?

Thanks in advance

Would you like me to send you some? I could get you a really really large tub from Bookers which will last you ages.PM me with your address details if you would like me to, it really isn't a problem.

• Like 2

Thank you DevonMaid, now I know why ours gets sticky every now and then, very annoying, it must be when I've run out and just made the dough anyway. I might just get the breadmix as a change though, sounds good

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)