Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

the difference in writing between age bands

Hi all

I would like to find some examples of what 'writing' at 30-50 months might look like and what 'writing' at 40-60 months might look like.

I feel some of my staff are overgrading and I know I have seen an example some where (although I know it is a little subjective) but cant find it!!

Does anyone have anything or can point me in the direction of anything that might help particularly with training staff and moderation?

thank you

If you Google eyfs exemplifications you will find the examples of what the early learning goals look like which may help.

Sorry I'm no good at links. I normally tell my staff to stick to the 30 _50 months unless they are very able. I like the emerging, developing etc on tapestry, which helps.

thank you finleysmaid this is what I was looking for :D

I do agree that it is the consistent skills but my team are visuals learners and I thought if I could give them a bit of an idea of what 'good' looks like it would help them to make better judgements rather than it being a straight 40-60 because they form their first letter. Slight exaggeration but you see what I mean :P

hi, don't know if these are any good? moderation notes from nursery team and me and reception teacher. consistency in assessments was a problem for us, and still is! but at least i can show staff what we agreed and use that to develop them. we are also setting up a moderated writing folder with examples of writing to match statements from 16-26 months to ELG. our children come in very low in writing

writing 40-60 moderation.docxwriting moderation 22-50 bands.docx

I think the expectations are set to high (making us and children feel we're failing...)

i agree, and our school are being very strict about writing as our data isn't good for key 1 and 2. i had a group who could write a simple sentence independently in july last year, and i had to put them at emerging in 40-60 band, as i didn't have reams and reams of evidence. the children want to take things home and we haven't always got time to photocopy everything .....

we photograph things...comes up quite well on a photo

children often write on coloured paper and coloured pencil or felt pen, which doesn't show up in photo but does if you scan it. we are in separate building to school and it's not ideal for us. children like to take bits home on the day so don't want to keep it to scan at lunch time ....... i know my children well but this isn't good enough for our SLT. lots and lots and lots of evidence wanted.

we can't win, can we? we use coloured paper to hook them into writing area and provide lovely writing tools, e.g. just bought coloured gel pens from asda, but not enough contrast for successful photo..... this year i am getting more by swapping it for a sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realistically I would only be keeping something that demonstrates a step forward in skills, knowledge or understanding. I used to discuss with the children if this piece of writing was a keeper - they could then make a photocopy to take home if they wanted and they would put the original in their folder, or a going home piece. Simple discussions enabled the child to have a say in the evidence base I had. I would also just write a record of the skills I saw emerging into a new stage of writing development if necessary. We also did a guided group piece each week in an A4 plain paper book so I had a week by week record of progress and skills development.

FYI the EYFSP statutory handbook gives you a very clear definition of what is evidence and it doesn't all have to be recorded as I'm sure you know. IF you writing is moderated as it would be every year with the LA, either as a visit or at a meeting then you have a bench mark of what is a set of writing skills at the expected level.

Equally as I have said elsewhere a piece of writing does not meet the ELG - it is a child's typical skill set that meets the ELG.

If one of my schools was suppressing their GLD outcomes because of possible weak literacy teaching in KS1 and 2 I'd be very cross!!

CX

• Like 1