Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evidencing reflective practice

What do settings do to evidence that they are being reflective from day to day in everything they do?

I'm sure, like everyone, its what we do all the time but don't always evidence it, e.g. the conversation between staff about removing chairs from the playdough table because it encourages children to develop arm strength.

I've thought about a kind of setting diary or journal where everything gets jotted down. Has that worked for anyone?

Hi - we use a diary to write in a weekly reflection and also evaluate/reflect on the activities shown on the plans - the diary does work very well and it doesn't have to be much, just a couple of sentences!! We leave a space under each activity shown on the plans for reflection/evaluation and all staff contribute (all write on it) It does make you realise that reflection is happening all the time, often without realising!!

Hi - we use a diary to write in a weekly reflection and also evaluate/reflect on the activities shown on the plans - the diary does work very well and it doesn't have to be much, just a couple of sentences!! We leave a space under each activity shown on the plans for reflection/evaluation and all staff contribute (all write on it) It does make you realise that reflection is happening all the time, often without realising!!

Yes similar for us too - I think it is a great 'tool' - I put far more thought and effort into this as opposed to writing 'complicated' plans - this weekly log informs planning and is emailed to staff - as well as being printed and placed in (one of my many) folders :1b

But isn't there a risk that the ideas and improvements only are implemented by current staff? New ones will not go through the folders. If they are part of induction lists or daily plans there is more chance that they will be passed on, is my thinking.

In general I'm not keen on 'evidencing'. (It makes me feel mistrusted.) I think things only should be done because they are meaningful for practical reasons.

But isn't there a risk that the ideas and improvements only are implemented by current staff? New ones will not go through the folders. If they are part of induction lists or daily plans there is more chance that they will be passed on, is my thinking.

In general I'm not keen on 'evidencing'. (It makes me feel mistrusted.) I think things only should be done because they are meaningful for practical reasons.

Possibly - but (hope I'm not tempting fate here!) I haven't had any new staff for ten years - really hope that my existing team will remain with me until my retirement :1b

As ever, I think we should all do whatever works for us and our settings :1b

Do you all write a daily evaluation of how the day has gone?

We do on the bottom of our planning sheet, but these sheets are never looked at again!

no! we just change things if they're not working.....never thought about writing it down!!!!! We evaluate the childrens learning on their next step information ...surely that's the main thing isn't it?

• Like 2

cor that's a bit of a turn up for the books....sunnyday and finleysmaid disagreeing! guess that shows that each setting is different and when it comes to planning and evaluation you have to do what is right for your setting! ;)

It is an usual thing indeed! :1b

Always good though to be 'challenged' about our practice - particularly by those holding a similar position........

I have time to write a weekly log/evaluation and I find it 'pulls together' info that could otherwise be 'lost' ........all staff contribute - I expect notes to be written on planning sheets if they have either supported an adult directed activity or have just 'noticed' something - these planning sheets are returned to me at end of each session and I collate that info and produce a typed log which is then emailed to staff - at end of each week I print off this log and add to a folder - useful to look back on for planning and/or assessments........staff often 'pinch' my wording when writing up observations for learning journey folders - excellent :1b

Time - is a big part of this - my setting is open mornings only - if i was working 9-5 (or longer :blink: ) I'm sure that I wouldn't want this extra 'job' :1b

Haven't had an inspection since I started this system - but, hey I don't do it for Ofsted - I do it because it works for us and provides an opportunity for whole of staff team to access info with regard to their Key Children on a day to day basis - we all work with each others Key Children and need to know when progress has been made or when they are 'struggling'.......

Not at all dissimilar to your evaluating on Next Step info fm - just a different system :1b

Here's to many more interesting, thought provoking discussions! :1b

• Like 1

I am a diary fan and I work with a few settings that keep some sort of reflective diary, where they jot down all sorts of things from ideas, reflections on the day/week, questions to ask, something they have read, photos etc. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but even though I dont work in a setting any more, I still keep a reflective journal. In a s sense I don't see it as forcing myself to provide evidence (although we still have to do that as well!), but more as a record of my thinking and writing helps me think and reflect. So the actual process of recording things supports my thinking, and enables me to look back over time to see where my thinking has moved on (or not) and what I have done about it.

I think diaries are particularly useful if you have many staff who are in and out of different days and shifts, its way of still sharing the experiences when you don't actually see them.

But whatever suits your style and captures what you need to capture, should work well.

I am gonna make you gasp all you people who write. Daily reflections , thoughts and odd tweaks are just word of mouth for us,

If I evidence it, it will be just for Ofsted, my evidence is a changing evolving setting shown through photographic scrap book that we use but mostly children who are learning progressing and have high well being and involvement .

We do action plans for large scale changes ie outside area, but for every day, no I have enough to write

I didn't think I would get so many responses when I posted original post so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I do kind of agree with SueR but with the current climate of Ofsted inspections and judgements that can be so devastating for settings, you have to be an incredibly confident leader to not jump through the hoops they want you to.

I am off to a Getting to Good Seminar held by Ofsted this week so think I might raise this with them.

I didn't think I would get so many responses when I posted original post so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I do kind of agree with SueR but with the current climate of Ofsted inspections and judgements that can be so devastating for settings, you have to be an incredibly confident leader to not jump through the hoops they want you to.

I am off to a Getting to Good Seminar held by Ofsted this week so think I might raise this with them.

Please let us know what they think :1b

• Like 1

We used to have a reflective board which I made and used all the time but none of the other staff used so my manager took it down and replaced it with something else :( i think reflection is really important day to day and i feel i am the only one in my setting who wants to do it..so frustrating when you are the only person completeing stuff daily in your setting...I have decided to do a A4 ringbinder called the "reflective folder" which I can fill in each day and Ofsted can see that when they come I guess