Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Progress check panic!

Ha ha ha health visitor what's that?? Am trying to make contact with our communities health visitor to try and begin to work in partnership!!! I am sorry I do not know the answer to your question but in my setting I would always complete one regardless. Lets face it, we see the children daily, the health visitors do not.

Please could someone advise.

If a health visitor has completed a child's two year old progress check do we have to do them again when they start at pre school?

Thanks

If they are two when they start with you then yes. Most of our two year olds have already had the HV check done long before they get to us. Allegedly it will be a joint check from September next year but I have been speaking to a HV today and she didn't know anything about it !!!!!!

Just to throw a spanner in the works we were told no! In the very beginning we were actually told that HV's would do the checks and we would just get the 'overflow' that were missed!! Needless to say we get an extremely large overflow :D

However in 2 years of these checks we have had two children come in with checks done by HV's and both were totally inaccurate. Most parents dont even know what they are.

• Like 1

Lynned55

Not sure who told you no but the 2 year check is a statutory requirement - the extract below is from the statutory framework!

Progress check at age two

2.3. When a child is aged between two and three, practitioners must review their progress, and provide parents and/or carers with a short written summary of their child’s development in the prime areas. This progress check must identify the child’s strengths, and any areas where the child’s progress is less than expected. If there are significant emerging concerns, or an identified special educational need or disability, practitioners should develop a targeted plan to support the child’s future learning and development involving parents and/or carers and other professionals (for example, the provider’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator or health professionals) as appropriate.

The HV check is not quite the same as the progress check as it has a health element - the link below is a parent info link from the foundation years site

If you are not doing 2 year checks you will be found to be breaching the statutory framework in any Ofsted inspection which will result in your judgement being either a requires improvement or an inadequate!!

Hello all,

Yes we do the 2 year old checks despite if the HV has completed one or not. We also make a note of having completed it in their red book so any other professionals could always make contact with us if needed. However as children come to us at age 2years 5-6 months, it probably doesn't get done by us until 4-5 weeks after starting, plus some young children only come once a week to start with (2.5 hours). We find it useful as an initial baseline assessment for our starters so never see it as another piece of paperwork but just the start of their learning and development journey with us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)