Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Running pre-school from a house

klc106

Hi all

Does anyone know whether it is possible to buy a house, and run a preschool from it, rather than renting a church hall type building.

Also would you be able to live in the house. For example, have downstairs as a preschool and live upstairs.

Would it be a business mortgage you would have to get?

Sorry for all the questions, look forward to some advice.

That's how my nursery was set up, and I ran it for ten years.

However, when we purchased the house, I didn't really know if I was going to set up a nursery or not, so this wasn't part of the mortgage discussions at the time.

When I applied for planning permission, I informed my mortgage company and they were fine with it- no changes to the mortgage.

In terms of business rates, I had to pay those on the three downstairs rooms that formed the nursery, but my house was downgraded in the housing band (because we effectively had less house to live in!), thereby making the council tax cheaper :1b

• Like 1

a childminder does the same, the can have assistants too so really it would be no different.....your Ofsted registration would be childcare on domestic premises......are planning one?

Thanks all. I already run a preschool from a village hall but we are in a very small village with not a lot of passing trade so not many children! We only have 12 on roll. So we are looking into this option with the hope of moving to somewhere more suitable

• 3 months later...

Dear All,

Happy New year!!!

I am in the process of opening my preschool this January 2015, but have not had anyone register to start with. Everything else is in place except this. We started advertising in October 2014. Can anyone advice if it is worth opening at this time despite this? I appreciate your responses and advice.

Thanks

Edited by Threems

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding earlier. We have distributed fliers in the area and is on the LA list, also on the yellow pages list.

My query is should I go ahead and open despite not having any child to register. A friend said she started with 2 children. Just unsure of what to do! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We opened our preschool in 2011 with only 2 children, we had 6 by Christmas. The following September we had 12 on roll. The following year it was 14 and this year we have 12.

We are in a very small village so I believe this is why we are still so low on numbers. We are trying to think of good advertising ideas at the minute as we only have 5 on the list for September!

Dear All,

Happy New year!!!

I am in the process of opening my preschool this January 2015, but have not had anyone register to start with. Everything else is in place except this. We started advertising in October 2014. Can anyone advice if it is worth opening at this time despite this? I appreciate your responses and advice.

Thanks

Hi. I opened in September with five, another five joined in October and we've had twelve start in January all different sessions and days. I'm at 42% occupancy. We had many days where just one child was in or none if someone was ill! My mantra is build it and they will come. You just have to go for it. We had two open days and I invited the local MP to the first. It was v poorly attended but the MP gave me a write up on his FB page and I did get a piece in the local Guardian. I also advertise with two local parents magazines, but I find the website and FB to be good drivers. Also Netmums. I do Daycare nurseries (?) but from them is mostly people looking for jobs so won't renew! Now we're at a stage where word of mouth is starting to kick in. It takes a while for people to know you're there I still meet people who don't know anything about us! Good luck with it all Threems keep us posted. Edited by MarshaD