Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How do we cope with an increasing number of nappies!

potleyhill

As our preschool expands and we are taking more 2 year olds, we are finding that the number of nappies we are changing is increasing. We have heard that after a certain number, we have to arrange for them to be incinerated.

Does anyone know if this is an urban myth and what do others do?

xD we have discussed this before - the reason for my laughing emoticon is that one of our lovely forum regulars bags them up and pops down to her local Tesco and makes use of their facilities for disposal - mentioning no names here :blink: xDxD

We double bag ours and they go home with parents - quite sure someone will come along now and say 'oh you shouldn't do that' - but hey ho it works for us!!! :1b

• Like 2

Hi, we double bag the nappy and the parents take it home to dispose of it - we do not have the facilities to do this and cannot afford to have them collected and disposed of.

parents are told of this when they put their childs name on the waiting list / come for a visit etc- they read and sign a nappy changing policy too.

Not sure if this is true or not.

For us, we asked when EH paid us a visit, and she was more than happy with us just disposing with in normal waste. We're a pre school like you, I would say we would prob have a max of 6-8 a day at the very most- and that soon drops and often we have none.

If you do a forum search the topics been covered a few times.

xx

We pay for them to be taken away 'properly' but we do have babies too. It's very expensive! We were told it was to do with the handling of contaminated waste and that was the issue as to why they can't go in the normal waste. You pay per bag so you would probably only need one bag a week so shouldn't be too costly if you decided to do that x

I think the 'amount' has a lot to do with it.

Our EH officer is a very down to earth person saying as a preschool -as apposed to full day care - we probably produce far less nappy waste per week than the average family with babies/young children therefore she had no issues with as disposing of as normal waste.

We use to do same as others - send home with parents but then as you say an increase in the younger children was leading to a smell accumulating most sessions which was horrid for visitors to walk into and just wasn't nice so we took it on ourselves to go for disposal services and yes I thought it would be expensive. After playing companies off against each other to get there prices to beat each other's we ended up with term time collections of one a month, bin, bags etc at a great price. I carnt tell you how much easier this is and well worth every penny as now we do not smell ? x If services find you disposing of waste in public bins you can be prosecuted we was informed by our council so be careful ! Do the drop and run lol

We use a company called 'Green bottoms'. They come and collect the nappies which we bag up and put in a yellow bin. they are then taken away to be recycled rather than go to landfill. Our parents like this. We have to pay for it per bag, but we can cram a lot in! It's another USP for our business :)

Edited by laura

We use to do same as others - send home with parents but then as you say an increase in the younger children was leading to a smell accumulating most sessions which was horrid for visitors to walk into and just wasn't nice so we took it on ourselves to go for disposal services and yes I thought it would be expensive. After playing companies off against each other to get there prices to beat each other's we ended up with term time collections of one a month, bin, bags etc at a great price. I carnt tell you how much easier this is and well worth every penny as now we do not smell x If services find you disposing of waste in public bins you can be prosecuted we was informed by our council so be careful ! Do the drop and run lol

What sort of public bins do you mean? I can easily smuggle one or two nappy bags into the baby changing room where I put ours nobody is going to catch me do that (famous last words!) it's not like I save up a month's worth! but I wouldn't put them in car park bins or anything like that.

We had an info leaflet from our council just this very week - this is their take on nappy disposal

“Different authorities may have different ways of dealing with their waste. In the XXXX Borough nappies can be put into the normal waste system so long as they are mixed with normal waste and do not constitute more than 50% of that waste. There is no need to separate into Tiger bags. If you consider a normal household, nappies are put into nappy bags and added to general waste. The same process is ideal for a nursery; we would prefer it mixed rather than one black bag with just nappies in.”

“Different sized collection bins are available and collections can be negotiated. We dispose of our waste at a site call XXXX , behind XXX Road. XXX sort all our waste prior to landfill and successfully divert in excess of 90% for further recycling. Nappies are considered as “heavy” waste – this type of waste is baled and exported – It is dried and shredded and used as fuel.”

It is worth checking if your council object to you putting nappies in normal household bins and/or what their terms are if you do - if they don't object why pay an agency to take them away

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

That's interesting SueJ as we pay extra at the moment for a private company to collect them. I will look in to our council's policy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)