Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our own 'makes'

Cait

On 26/08/2022 at 20:39, louby loo said:

Really good, the children are going to love their new classmates.

I feel I need to post a picture of my machine and the pile of unmade summer projects next to it 😂

I have done nothing productive this summer whatsoever and I can't believe it's all over next week 😮😭

Even I think it's gone too fast and I don't have to go back to work

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2023 at 22:05, zigzag said:

I bet they went down well with the nurses.

They did!  This week it was lemon buns with a swirl of lemon buttercream with a big white chocolate button in the top!  Chemo 4 went down well and he is glowing this morning 🤣

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/04/2022 at 18:15, Froglet said:

The Hermione socks are finished! I’m not quite sure what to do for my next project. Back to school tomorrow so probably something that doesn’t require too much thinking!

53D7081A-0C77-4755-89A9-1D8D8E6ED8D4.jpeg

I have looked back for you lovely socks! I wonder whether you knit of a circular needle or whether you used double pointed individual needles? When my Granddaughter was born 4 years ago someone gave her one of those comforters - a small square of fabric with a monkey head on it. My son had the great idea of buying two more! During her 4 yrs one monkey has stayed at home , one in her nursery bag on nursery days and one goes with her out and about. She can't tell the difference as they have been rotated - not even sure if she knows she has more than one! Now she is about to start school in september, The school are adamant no toys or teddies and absolutely no monkey! She doesn't physically need it but she does need to know he is in her bag - he never comes out at nursery but she likes to know he is there! Sooo we have asked the school and the answer is no he cannot come and stay in her bag, I have managed to find a knitting pattern for a 'pocket monkey' which we are going to put on a key ring and have it on her bag just as a 'keyring'. There are numerous crochet patterns but i can't crochet! I have com to knit the monkey and the tail and legs are knited on double ended needles  something i have never done. I have googled an someone knitting socks cast on 45 stitches and split them to 15 on each of 3 needles and then they use a 'naked' 4th needle to knit the rounds. My problem is monkey's tail only has 3 stitches !! I have tried and tried and just can't do it. I am desparately hoping you might be explain to explain how to do - I am so frustrated ! I can do complex aran cardigans for her but can't get this knitting in a round - Help pleeeeeease :-) I would be so grateful .

Hmmm, I mostly use a circular needle although I use dpns to start and finish the socks. The smallest I’ve made though were 44 stitches and that was a fiddle! Essentially you just knit around without turning the work in between.

I wonder if you keep the 3 stitches on one needle, knit along it using another then go back to the start and knit again. If you pull the working yarn tight as you go back to the start would that gradually pull it into a tube?

What does the pattern actually say?

On 09/07/2023 at 07:04, Froglet said:

Hmmm, I mostly use a circular needle although I use dpns to start and finish the socks. The smallest I’ve made though were 44 stitches and that was a fiddle! Essentially you just knit around without turning the work in between.

I wonder if you keep the 3 stitches on one needle, knit along it using another then go back to the start and knit again. If you pull the working yarn tight as you go back to the start would that gradually pull it into a tube?

What does the pattern actually say?

Thank you so much for this :-) The instructions are very short and sweet : cast on 3 sts on a den. Using 2 dpns knit an i-cord for 12 rows. Pull through to cast off. I must be thick! if i just use 2 dpns surely it is no different to using ordinary needles. From my googling i thought you had to have 3 needles and then use a fourth as a naked needle!

On 09/07/2023 at 14:01, Gezabel said:

Thank you so much for this :-) The instructions are very short and sweet : cast on 3 sts on a den. Using 2 dpns knit an i-cord for 12 rows. Pull through to cast off. I must be thick! if i just use 2 dpns surely it is no different to using ordinary needles. From my googling i thought you had to have 3 needles and then use a fourth as a naked needle!

Aha icord! That’s the key thing - I’ve never done a knitted one only crochet. I didn’t know how to do that either but once I’d googled it was fairly straightforward!

On 09/07/2023 at 14:20, Froglet said:

Aha icord! That’s the key thing - I’ve never done a knitted one only crochet. I didn’t know how to do that either but once I’d googled it was fairly straightforward!

oh my goodness how right you are. Just watched a video and you only use 2 needles. If i am right the secret is not to turn the needles but to slide the stitches up - off to have a go - many thanks again

• Like 1

On 09/07/2023 at 14:22, Gezabel said:

oh my goodness how right you are. Just watched a video and you only use 2 needles. If i am right the secret is not to turn the needles but to slide the stitches up - off to have a go - many thanks again

proud owner of my first ever i-cord😂

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 01:17, louby loo said:

having read the last 7 posts, I just want to say I am totally confused and have a headache! 😳🤣

... off to google knitted i-cords now 🙂

(everydays a school day here 😂)

Me too! I can’t knit, can’t crochet and have trouble sewing a button on!  Listening to you guys is like listening to a foreign language!

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2023 at 01:17, louby loo said:

having read the last 7 posts, I just want to say I am totally confused and have a headache! 😳🤣

... off to google knitted i-cords now 🙂

(everydays a school day here 😂)

Sorry!

On 12/07/2023 at 08:42, zigzag said:

Me too! I can’t knit, can’t crochet and have trouble sewing a button on!  Listening to you guys is like listening to a foreign language!

Everyone has their own foreign language!

I’ve been making loads of French knitting cords for the drawstring bags I’ve been making as gift bags instead of using wrapping paper.   I cord is fun and it grows quite quickly.   

• Like 2

Interesting discussion - I wouldn't have known how to make an icord either!

One of Knit and Natter ladies has decided to make a jumper for her youngest granddaughter - she went to a wool shop asked for advice (she has not knitted anything more than squares before) they sold her wool and a pattern that was to be knitted in one piece and assured her it would be really easy 😲 it starts with knitting a sleeve - all good - but then she was a bit stuck - two of us looked at the pattern and I cast on the extra stitches that she needed for the next bit...

It kept me awake that night - a case of - 'well I know two of us looked at it and agreed the next step, but I'm not sure about this, that sleeve (which was already looking too long) is just going to grow and grow' - quick text 'don't do anymore until we have looked at that again'! 

Think we are now on the right track - took it to where it needs to be and the 'sleeve' has been moved to a spare needle - flippin' heck - this was sold as being an 'easy pattern' - if it was me I would have taken it apart and chosen an easier pattern...

I don't think will be the last time we have to try and sort it out!

On 14/07/2023 at 13:11, sunnyday said:

Interesting discussion - I wouldn't have known how to make an icord either!

One of Knit and Natter ladies has decided to make a jumper for her youngest granddaughter - she went to a wool shop asked for advice (she has not knitted anything more than squares before) they sold her wool and a pattern that was to be knitted in one piece and assured her it would be really easy 😲 it starts with knitting a sleeve - all good - but then she was a bit stuck - two of us looked at the pattern and I cast on the extra stitches that she needed for the next bit...

It kept me awake that night - a case of - 'well I know two of us looked at it and agreed the next step, but I'm not sure about this, that sleeve (which was already looking too long) is just going to grow and grow' - quick text 'don't do anymore until we have looked at that again'! 

Think we are now on the right track - took it to where it needs to be and the 'sleeve' has been moved to a spare needle - flippin' heck - this was sold as being an 'easy pattern' - if it was me I would have taken it apart and chosen an easier pattern...

I don't think will be the last time we have to try and sort it out!

Now I can actually see that in my head - start with sleeve (knit to correct lengh) add body to either side, knit a sholder/body, make head hole, sholder/body again decrease back to the second sleeve. 🤣

• Like 2

On 14/07/2023 at 14:25, louby loo said:

Now I can actually see that in my head - start with sleeve (knit to correct lengh) add body to either side, knit a sholder/body, make head hole, sholder/body again decrease back to the second sleeve. 🤣

I'm sure you are right - I can't visualise it at all - isn't it funny how differently brains work!

• Like 1
  • Love 1