Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent comment child not learning anything

I have a parent who having had their learning journal and end of year report has commented that the child has not learnt anything all year apart from songs and comments that their learning journey shows no teaching just observations I have a meeting planned to discuss further with parent

Any useful comments would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

I think I would go through the journal with them. Explaining that the play their child has had the experience of may have helped to teach them in all the areas of the EYFS. Then show how next steps are then chosen for their individual child.

Do you give your parents a sheet about the EYFS, or have it within your prospectus.

We explain our set up at their introductory visit and inductions, so they understand all areas of play have characteristics of effective learning, and prime and specific areas.

I'm sure there is a booklet about the EYFS for parents too.:)

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

We are explaining in writing the learning and development the children have had whilst with us, whilst playing. If describing the play in your journals, perhaps you 'need' to do the explaining verbally as it doesn't seem to be obvious to them. Routines at pre-schools and nurseries are also full of learning which some parents may not be aware of.

• Like 1

During this child's time with you, did you not share a termly summary of the his or hers growth? Setting targets/ next steps that you talked about with parents?

Just thinking that if you had then progression would have been seen and shared with parents!

If they didn't progress AT ALL it seems then maybe parent had a point but as I rather doubt that being the case then if the information has been shared then she really is talking BS!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

I'd ask what did she want her to have learnt by now and go from there explaining the EYFS and how it lays the foundations of further learning.Ask what she does at home too, maybe you could work together and share ideas of appropriate activities :1b

• Like 1

Just to throw my two bobs worth in - I think that it is absolutely part of the job to share information with parents - if this can be done successfully as the children move through the terms all to the better - we have up to date progress info in Learning Journey folders and some (not all) annotated photos give a clear explanation about the 'learning' that was taking place.......

If a parent ever questioned what their child had learned - I hope that i would be able to work through the folder very 'calmly' and show just how and what their child is learning.....

I would much rather have a parent who made this query than one who shows no interest all :ph34r: :1b

• Like 2

Do you have evidence in the folders that show progression from one set of skills and how they have progressed, e.g. in language or mathematical vocabulary...how does the child demonstrate skills now that they didn't at a previous point in time.

Is the child's attainment in line with stages of development appropriate for their age? where were they on entry and where are they now??

Cx

We highlight and write evidence for the phrases as they achieve them (obviously it's not a 'tick list' but we find this shows progression visually). The parents regularly get their progress book and wrote things in and they seem to like the visual side of seeing how they progress each term with the colour codedness!!! And they contribute and are included with learning journeys too so progress is quite clear. Do you have anything like that that they can 'see'?

Do you track individual children's age and stage - that's a really useful way to show progression and also that some ages and stages are lot more involved than others, and take some children longer to progress through!

Sometimes expectations are little off the wall to say the least - good luck with the parent!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)