Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice please.....

Good evening everyone, just dropping by hoping for a bit of advice. The children made this fab creation yesterday with long bits of ribbon. I wasn't in session until lunch time so am not sure how when or why. But I thought it was fab, took a picture and shared it on Facebook. I have since had a parent, a family member of mine, ring me at home asking if the ribbon is long enough to go round the children's neck. I explained whilst it was long enough, to be honest so are the strings used for threading, that they weren't always out and when they are, they are closely watched. She didn't seem too impressed with my response, and I am expecting more from her tomorrow at drop off.

So I have popped on here asking what you guys think? Would you cut the ribbon into shorter bits? The children love them and were engaged for over an hr I'm told the other day doing this between four of them, and I've often watched them lace the ribbon in and out of the fencing. To me is would seem a shame

I wouldn't cut them smaller. Everything has an element of risk but if children are supervised properly then it shouldn't be a problem.

Wearing scarves in a winter role play or necklaces in role play could cause the same injury.

Obviously I could be wrong! :1b

If you cut your ribbons, I'll have to cut ours and I don't want to. Its the same with anything, you risk assess and act accordingly.After the parent I've had to speak to today, I wonder if they're taught moan at school these days! Good luck tomorrow :)

• Like 1

What about quickly writing up a quick risk - it you don't have one already? I certainly would not cut them, just emphasise that the children are carefully supervised

Hi lizr

Looking at the photo - it would appear that this is 'off the ground' - top of climbing frame or similar???

If so - I would urge caution - there was a case - last year I think of a little girl 'hanged' from an attachment to a slide......

I agree about making a risk assessment. Be ready for Mum tomorrow with all the benefits that the children worked together (PSED), they were able to experiment with how to attach (Tech) learning that they wanted long bits rather than short (Maths) the language to talk about their creation (lang) I'm sure you think of more. On the other side the risk of harm. How it can be minimised by adult supervision. Mum may not like it, but keep explaining that the benefits outweigh the risk and you feel it is a safe activity. If you ant to write it so that Mum can see you have taken it seriously, but just talking her through it may work.

I'll be thinking of you. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you everyone. It is at their head height, so slightly off the ground but no one was using the climbing frame as a climbing frame, they were all feet firmly on the ground. I wouldn't of allowed anyone to climb through it all or over it all.

Nope the ribbons all came off and were put back into the shed at tidy up time. The children were really proud of what they had achieved and were engaged for such a long time.

I do remember the case of the child, which I'm sure she knows about too, - and is forever in my mind. She is a nightmare sister in law for this reason too! Always in a panic about every single risk, drives me crazy in my personal life!

We are a small setting with always 2/3 adults in the garden and always well over ratio.

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who wouldn't cut the ribbons, but I will be cascading this all to staff to ensure they remain very vigilant. Thank you all

I wouldn't cut my ribbons either, or strings, ropes, whatever, BUT I can see why she was worried, and yes, the little girl who was hanged came straight into my head when i read your initial post. We all think we are safe, that it couldn't happen to us....but it did in that group and to the family. BUT I would make sure that she understands that in your setting, the children are fully supervised and that ribbons etc are cleared away, that you count all children out and back in again..............and that areas such as the one they were using are checked again by the last adult going inside, so you know for sure there are no children left behind.Don't discount her fears........simply show that you understand them and do all you can to minimise, or remove, any risks. And yes, definately point out all the wonderful learning that went on :)

Edited by narnia
  • Like 2

Our children play with ropes on the climbing frame and in the trees in our woods. Like you we are always aware they have them. We talk to the children about the dangers of putting them around thier own or others necks and what could happen. I have decided to chat about it at our staff meeting next week though after reading this post to ensure ALL staff are aware and to write a risk assessment so I would like to thank you for sharing your dilema and also symphasing and thinking of you today.

Andrea

• Like 1