Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Frog Lifecycle theme

Any ideas please on 'Frog life cycles' theme for the home corner?

We seem to have run out of ideas for our preschool.

i wonder if this is a setting that has something in all areas around a theme... not something I have ever done even when we did topics but I know some do..

In this case I would say there is no real need.to follow through, but you could introduce a picnic/outdoor style to the area.. make it into a garden or even extend it to growth in general and have a garden centre style.. planting seeds or if space some containers with veggie seeds.. (we used those big plastic buckets found everywhere.. drilled some holes in the side about an inch up and planted those..)

• Like 1

We try to link our theme to all areas of learning. Presently looking at creating a jungle with hangings of the frog life cycles..

We try to link our theme to all areas of learning. Presently looking at creating a jungle with hangings of the frog life cycles..

so what's your learning objective for this area?

The problem is graceland is that if you iplan to topics then are you following the children's interests and planning for their next step within this ...or does it become a contrived method of weaving the theme across the whole curriculum?

• Like 1

Have to say I agree with Finleysmaid. I think planning to themes and topics often ends up meeting adults' needs rather than children's. That isn't to criticise the way you plan at all Graceland, just bear in mind what children will get from your themed areas. If you use your theme as a 'starter' to provoke learning, then see where the children lead you, you may not have to think so hard about 'themeing' each area.

If you are looking at frogs in general and comparing British native frogs against tree frogs from rainforests, then you need to look at the differences n their lifecycles ( for instance, our native frogs grow from spawn to tadpole quite quickly, whereas a Bullfrog remains in tadpole stage for up to 2 years). I think that's a very different thing from 'theming' for an adults interest, rather than the childrens. I certainly wouldn't be setting up situations for the sake of it.

We currently have a bowl of frog spwan, with a small life cycle set up, because one of the children had some spawn in their pond and was excited about it.....so the parents brought some in. We have talked about the difference between frogs and toads spawn and looked in books and on the internet for information......AND discovered that the tadpoles love spinach :) But that's it, unless or until, the children ask more questions.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)