Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Govt announce today a package of extra childcare support for families

Newsflash from the Foundation Years Team;

The government has today announced a package of extra childcare support for families, including increasing tax-free childcare, introducing a £50m early years pupil premium and covering 85% of childcare costs for 300,000 of the most disadvantaged families.

For full details see the Foundation Years newsflash here

Thanks

Why is it I think that most of the money will go to schools and their nurseries instead of the rest of us!?

Edited by SamG

Thanks

Why is it I think that most of the money will go to schools and their nurseries instead of the rest of us!?

Sadly for me I can't see it - people paying for child care on top of the 15 hours seem to want more than school nurseries can offer. Sadly we're losing 1 session in Sept because we can't offer more tha 3 hours a day. :(

Perhaps I have missed the point somewhere but don't we already have a compulsory deprivation supplement in the funding formula to support our most deprived children - I worry what sort of restrictions are going to be put on this early years pupil premium

• Like 2

I'm not optimistic. The BBC commentator immediately said this is about 3 things i.e. a general election next year; appealing to female voters (apparently not many of us vote Conservative); and getting people back to work - sums it up in my opinion!

I also read that the money for disadvantaged families was to provide training, to support recruitment and pay for speech and language therapy - not to support settings in general.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)