Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS for Staff Members

hello everybody,

i am new to the forum/website so not sure if i am starting new topic in correct section. i have a problem which i hope you can help me with as i am going crazy.

I work for a private day nursery which has recently changed from being a childminder. During the childminder time i worked there with my valid CRB from an agency, now that we have changed to a nursery i was asked to get a DBS check for the new place. The manager gave me the following website "http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/Step-One.aspx" and told me to follow steps as that would get me my DBS. Once i went to step 2 and started to fill in application, i got to a point where it asked for a position applied for(http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/attachments/RVG2.pdf - link to discription of the roles that showed up). After reading the discriptions and looking at it i felt it wasnt suitable. Asked the manager the next day but she just told me to choose the Responsible Person. I felt like this wasn't right. I spoke to Capita who wasn't much help and had no idea what to do and referred me to OFSTED. I couldn't get through so decided to ring the CAPITA's OFSTED Dept. After speaking to a person from the department my suspiccions were confirmed it was the wrong form but was told to ring OFSTED to ask them advice on what to do. I emailed OFSTED as i couldn't get through and this is the response from them:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, Ofsted only conducts DBS checks for people that need to be registered with Ofsted at the setting, this includes the nominated person and an committee members. As a general member of staff, you will not be able to complete the DBS check in this way and the provider at the nursery will need to arrange for you to complete this privately as the requirements of registration stipulate. Please refer to the nominated person at the setting and advise that Ofsted do not conduct checks on general staff members.

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Liam Wheatley

Ofsted - Applications, Regulation and Contact Team

TEL: 0300 123 1231

Email: enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

As i might have previously mentioned.. nobody at my workplace is 100% sure how to do the DBS check as a staff member so i am unable to ask them for help. I hope somebody out there knows how to do this and can guide me in the right direction!! I will be grateful for any help!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH:)

thank you for a quick response. How would the employer sign up with a company? is there any fees? are they annual fees or one off payment? if its a one off payment then how long is it valid for and do they have to pay any extras to complete checks on few staffs?

thank you! you are a life saver. I nearly wasted money doing the DBS the way i was told by my boss.

Your welcome. Please also enquire regarding the update service which is now available. This allows an employee on receiving their disclosure certificate to sign up within a specified time (think its 14 days after being cleared), to have their clearance updated annually think its about £13.00 a year with Capita. This allows a person to take their clearance to another setting/provision.

We pay for our staff DBS but not for the update service.

Hope this helps.:)

Hello agnieszkagiera, and welcome to the Forum.

I'm very worried about the fact that your employer is not sure how to get a DBS check done on its employees because this is the most basic part of child protection.

If the provision has changed its registration then I imagine there will be a post-registration inspection and Ofsted will want to see all this documentation in place, and be sure that the registered person and designated safeguarding officer are both knowledgeable in this area.

Good luck with getting it sorted. I recently had to get a DBS check done for a voluntary position and because it was all done online, my certificate turned up in about three days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just read the topic related to DBS checks .

I wonder if anyone can tell me regarding the handling and storage of these certificates.

Within our partnership I heard that Ofsted like all information together on one sheet of paper.

If this is the case how much information are they requiring, is it just the certificate number and date related to each staff member ?

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.

This DBS system seems so confusing I am a working manager in a Pre-School and the Ofsted nominated person .We decided to update our CRB's and after contacting Capita have ended up very confused!! Do I as the nominated person have to get my DBS done by Ofsted?? and then do the rest of the staff myself through Capita???

You should already have one if you're the nominated person!? if not contact ofsted and they will tell you how to do it as they give you a reference for when you go on to do it with capita. We never redo our staff only new staff/volunteers, like lynned55 said it's very costly!!!

Hi

Just to add, You may already do this but It is also deemed good practice to asked your staff to sign a disclaimer on an annual basis to protect yourself as a manager

It asks the staff member of any changes since the CRB/DBS check was made (convictions/court orders etc :ph34r: )

. Reviewed with staff appraisal .

Thank you all for inputting on this topic I found it most helpful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Can you tell me who you are using to carry out new staff checks, we've always used TMG but it is now £64 for through them, I was emailed the registration info to set up (first time since changes), but to be honest even the form looks complicated to do that, and everything on them is referred to as CRB still are most of you using capita now ? thank you

that's interesting woodlands, i was quoted £64 for staff £20 + £44.00, did you find their form to register for online easy to understand, mine opens up over 4 pages ? pg 3 just has a few grey empty boxes down middle, change to landscape is a bit better, but all very dark shaded boxes...maybe it isnt opening correctly.

Oh have you always been with them? To register for online I just emailed them and they sent me a form but I don't remember it being terribly long, it was a while ago though. Once registered it's easy as once they are complete they're all in one place so a great quick reference list for ofsted etc x

• Like 1