Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Huge stupid error on job application form

I'm so pleased to have found this website - I've been out of teaching for 5 years and it has been great to get up to date and see wonderful resources. I look forward to becoming part of the community here.

I don't know if anyone could help me straight off...

I'm so worried, I applied for a reception teacher position and one of the things they asked for was previous experience of EYFS. I applied stating previous experience, which I truly thought I had as I recall teaching the Foundation Stage in 2004. I didn't realise that Foundation Stage and EYFS were too different things as I recall the different learning areas and stepping stones and assessments. I've just started reading two books I purchased on the revised EYFS and see that it was only statutory in 2008!

I've been selected for an interview (obviously based on my previous experience) and the information I have given is wrong. My husband said to wait until the interview to explain my confusion but it is a HUGE error. I have taught reception for over four years previously and I really want this job.

Can anyone give suggestions on how I can phrase my error positively? I thought there is an error on my application form and that in fact I was teaching EYFS in it's infancy? Or that it was the precursor to EYFS? No idea what to say as with an error like that it does not look good for the future. Any ideas or suggestions would be great...

Or do I pull out, explaining my error?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Hello tomatoes- welcome to the forum :1b

My first thought was that if they have selected you for interview, then they clearly have either not realised your error, or they didn't think it was as bad as you think!

Now you've got things sorted- ie you were teaching the Foundation Stage prior to the Birth to Three amalgamation with it, when it then became the EYFS.....and then it changed again.......etc etc!

I wouldn't worry any more about it- just get stuck into what's happening now, and the real issues that EYFS teachers and practitioners face. I'm sure others will add to my list-

realistic and manageable observation and assessment systems

broad and balanced curriculum- 7 areas of learning, adult-led and child-initiated

partnerships with parents- REALLY sharing info about their child's learning

They're my top 3! :D

• Like 4

Hi Tomatoes, welcome from me too. Being a bit behind the times with the wording is forgivable I think, especially when its clear you've had a break. Far less forgivesble is spelling mistakes and crossing out, both of which I have done in the past. I'll bet you'll be fine :)

Hi tomatoes, it will probably come across in your application that you were teaching in the FS prior to 2008, (as presumably you have been doing something else since then), but they still short listed you so they must have read something they liked!

I would certainly read through the changes to familiarize yourself and perhaps identify what the key changes are (for example statutory assessment arrangements will be different in reception from when you were last there). The good thing about the EYFS when it came into being, was that good practice was still good practice. Some things were explained in more detail, eg partnerships with parents, and of course you now have the Safeguarding and Welfare requirements that you may not have had to consider 10 years ago in the same way you do now.

Good luck with your interview, there are lots of very willing people here who can help you along the way, especially if you get that dream job!

• Like 1

Wow, thank you so much everyone, the welcomes and the advice!

Thank you Helen and Mundia on areas that I can discuss and show that I am up to date. Rea, I have found three spelling mistakes in my application despite reading it over and over as well as my husband. Unbelievable! I shall just do my best and see what happens!

I'm trying to figure out a good answer to 'Tell me about your experiences teaching EYFS' where I am completely honest about my mistake yet can prove that I am up to the job. I was thinking of saying:

I was teaching FS before it merged with Birth to Three to become EYFS (thanks Helen!) and the evolution of it has been very exciting to watch. It is wonderful that good practice has remained good practice (thanks Panders) and that the areas that we always thought were essential and priorities to a child's learning and development are now statutory. I apologise but I have written that I had EYFS on my form without thinking twice about it as I have been watching each developmental stage in Early Years education and it's continuity from FS.

I would appreciate any 'no, don't say that' or 'okay' from you all, to see if that sounds acceptable and will ease past my mistake.

Thank you thank you again everyone, I really hope once I am back in the classroom that I too can help and contribute like all of you x

If you were in a school nursery or reception class as a teacher at any time you have experience of the EYFS - we just called it nursery and reception (or even infants) before we called it the foundation stage in 2004, before we called it EYFS in 2008 onwards!!

It's still the same age range and reception children don't develop differently in 2014 to how they developed in 2004!

You'll be fine.

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 2

Thank you for all your support and encouragement - the interview is on Monday and I am so nervous! Anyway what will happen will happen and I'll let you know how it went.

Thank you again and I can't wait to get involved in the other areas of the forum (after Monday!).