Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long hair - should it always be tied back at work?

I would have thought it was only sensible, for adults and children to have it tied back out of the way. I have long hair and wouldn't dream of letting it whip about in the wind, paint, snot, toileting events etc.

• Like 1

I think this is a matter of personal choice.

Whilst my hair isn't very long I ALWAYS tie it back but both of my staff have long hair which is often loose.

I think insisting on people doing certain things with their hair is a little over the top!!!!!!

UNLESS we are cooking. But then staff automatically do the right thing anyway.

If a staff member doesn't mind the possibility of all sorts ending up in her hair I am not sure it is anyone else's business.

They are unlikely to be doing anything that will be terribly affected by hair being loose surely??????

• Like 4

They are unlikely to be doing anything that will be terribly affected by hair being loose surely??????

But if the children have theirs tied back, shouldn't we?

We ask parents to ensure that children's hair is tied away from the face with a hair tie, not slides or clips because they slide down or fall of. This is because we believe that it is irritating for the child to have hair hanging in their eyes - that it will affect their learning and possibly behaviour. Tying back hair is something we would like to avoid doing during the day, as we got so many other care needs to see to. Parents can't assist with toileting and mittens, but they can tie back hair.We see it as part of preparing their child for a day with us. (We do 'forest school' everyday, but would ask for the same if being indoors.)

I'm firmly with up to the individual as for the children we advise parents to tie back because of headlice but don't insist , most put it up. Hair is very much part of how we and others see ourselves not sure I want to impress my views on how someone should look

For the children I don't consider this being about "views on how someone should look". Adjusting ones appearance to circumstances is part of life, as I see it. (We don't have this rule for adults, other than for food preparation, and I've never asked anyone to tie their hair back. I was just thinking that rules should be the same for all... )

No I disagree we don't advocate teachers wearing uniform because pupils have too.

Just personal choice for individual ....if I was Mr Gove I wouldn't have uniforms either but that's another can of worms :)

I "strongly recommend" but don't make it a rule that hair is tied back for both children and staff to help reduce instances of the dreaded head lice (staff do food prep but also sit with children during lunch so there's the possibility of food contamination if hair is not tied back as well). Once of my biggest dreads is that one day I will visit the hair dresser and she will politely tell me that I have crawling friends :blink:

I'm afraid that I have a real hang up about headlice - when we were children my dear old Mum was a naive country girl who had never seen headlice or how to "treat" them until her Dad came home from WW2 (Burma) infested. When as children we inevitably got them she treated us like she had seen her Dad treat himself - I think today it would be classed as child abuse and might be a tad dangerous - her "cure" - douse small child's head and hair in paraffin making sure thoroughly soaked - apply one rubber swimming cap - admire handywork from a safe distance (ciggy in hand) and wonder while small child is writhing in agony :o:o:o .

I find it easier now to stick to colouring my hair - this is obviously as a preventative measure for headlice and nothing at all to do with covering up any grey hairs xDxD

• Like 2

Sue, your comments about paraffin and hair dye made me laugh on a horrible rainy day so thanks! :D

I have short hair so it's not an issue but having worked mainly with children with SEN, I've seen many members of staff get in very difficult situations when children grab their hair and don't let go. From a nit point of view, I'd definitely keep hair back - like you Sue, I dread going to get my hair cut and being told I have living things in my hair .....

we are all different, I like jewellery, nail varnish and no uniform

Its great conversation pieces with the children, and I want a homely feel to our setting, not one of all wearing the same,

Guest sn0wdr0p

I wear my long hair loose most of the time as I spend a lot of the day in my office. I do tie it back when I go in the baby room though as we have a 6 month old who loves to grab my hair and refuses to let go. If I forget or fail to do it when I go in there I soon regret it. I also tie it back when cooking.

One of my staff faced exactly that situation at the hairdressers and said she has never been so embarressed in her life.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I think it does depend to a great extent which type of setting you work in. Many daycare nursery chains promote a one-size fits all corporate image and so everybody has to comply. This usually includes nails short and no varnish, minimal jewellery and hair off face. Personally, I hate uniforms - always did. When I worked in a pre-school I loved wearing my own clothes, but I can now appreciate the reasons for having dress codes. This week we have had some cases of conjunctivitis - another reason for hair off faces (adults and children)! The debate continues!