Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unreasonable?

Hello

I had an issue today which I'd like to have other opinions on please.

This morning I received a message at 6.50am from member of staff (S) "I won't be coming in today as I've been up all night with child and need some sleep, sorry". So I arranged cover and then S came in after finishing her earlier hours elsewhere (yes, she'd worked 7.30-9.00am elsewhere!) and so I told her it was unacceptable not to work her hours (9.00-11.30). She then stomped off.

So, was I unreasonable? How would others move forward? All comments appreciated.

No you were not unreasonable if they are off they are off tired or sick - then they are off not picking and choosing which jobs to go to! - you need to sit down have a 1:1 and explain the situation and follow your disciplinary guidelines if you feel it is appropriate - make sure you record all conversations and both sign, incase she does it again :1b

• Like 3

Sorry not been clear! She was due to start at 9am and popped in at that time to bring something in. No intention of staying to work.

Oh right - oh dear - no i wouldn't be 'happy' at all......... :(

As hali suggested - time for a professional discussion about this - log it and log today's conversations too :1b

Hi welcome to the forum

I would not have been happy either, if someone is too tired or sick to work then they are too tired or sick to work ANYwhere. I would log it all, have a chat and say you were not happy was there a reason she felt she couldn't work for you but could work for someone else etc... and also maybe even ask if she was again ok to 'pop' in she clearly wasn't sleeping so when was she going to get the extra sleep?? no definitely not wrong to challenge this now before it gets any further.

I have the other problem a staff member that should be sick but wont go!!! maybe we should swap staff :ph34r:

• Like 1

Cheeky .....! a for lying ( that will come back on her one day, never tell fibs about your children) and b) for messing you about, it's not a great start to the morning finding cover as we all know.

Get it sorted! what had she been doing? Shelf stacking, or working in another nursery?

I have the other problem a staff member that should be sick but wont go!!! maybe we should swap staff :ph34r:

:D

Thanks for all the welcomes and opinions, I think I'm going to like it here. I'm newly qualified and a new manager so this is a huge learning curve for me and basically think she's taking the mick but am making notes of her conduct (this is not the first note in my report!).

Her earlier job is working with primary aged children and she would have been going back there at 3pm until 6pm.

She has sent me an email since but I will see her in person tomorrow instead of responding by email. Not looking forward to it but think if this isn't addressed then matters could get worse!

Can I add that I also think the fact that she 'stomped off' also says a great deal about respect (or lack of it) for her line manager. Blimey if I 'stomped off' whilst being spoken to by mine I think I would have something else to answer for!