Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling all Ofsted inspectors!

zigzag

As one of the many people on here, who works incredibly hard and successfully to have a happy and stimulating pre-school can any inspectors reading this give us an idea of when inspections finish before Christmas?. We are so, so overdue and it is always at the back of our minds, is today the day?? Not that this would make any difference to our practice or provision. I just think it would be quite nice for the last two weeks to just relax ever so slightly and just enjoy being with the children at this magical time. To be totally honest half of our planning was not achieved last week because of craft activities, nativity sorting and just generally going with the needs of the children (it seems that advent has had quite on effect on hyping them up) So a lot of time was spent outside. So come on someone please show some festive cheer and let us into your schedule!! :1b :1b :1b

Well I'm not sure I'm right on this but my understanding from a previous thread (hopefully some intelligent inspirational person

will be along soon to say don't be silly) but whenever there is a big change I.e. EYFS 2012' all the inspections start at scratch again, so it wouldn't matter how long you have been waiting, you could literally be any time even if you only had an inspection in August 2012. So if your inspection was 4/5 years ago it doesn't necessarily mean you are overdue any more you are just at the whim and lottery of your settings name coming out of the Ofsted hat

• Like 1

Love the idea of an inspector leaving wearing a Christmas hat, stuffed full of quality street and covered in glitter!!! So on the assumption that it could be any time before Christmas, are you all still planning?? I thought about doing a much scaled down planning sheet until we break up.

• Like 1

I think an inspector would be ok about you not following plans - I thought inspections are about good provision and ensuring the children are happy and safe- my plans often go out the window and every inspection I've had it's never been an issue. Hang the plans ! If it's too busy use the last two weeks to plan retrospectively it will take the pressure of a bit - no plans for me until mid January!

Personally, speaking, I would not see it as "not planning"...you are still planning and providing quality learning experiences for children. It may not be what you would do on an average week but surely there is still a structure and a learning purpose behind the activities children will do? Not writing it down is one thing but doing nothing to support children's learning for weeks on end isn't what you would be doing, surely!!

Thanks Catma. I have written down all the things that will be happening and explained that any childs interests will still be provided for. Have also backed up why this is not in a formal planning format. (It actually feels really naughty)

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

I know, I know, how dreadful BUT TRUE. The same question was asked at a manager's meeting last week and one of the Early Years Advisors told us it was in Hull.

For the first time I have decided not to open on Christmas Eve. We only have a few children in and it's really for the convenience for parents to do the food shop. This year I want to do my food shopping in the morning then rather than at 3am. I have found that the shelves are never stocked up at this time and I have to go back anyway. So this year I am going at 7am and getting stuck into the fray and not worrying about Ofsted.