Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How long since your last inspection?

zigzag

A colleague hasn't been inspected for over 5 years and got so frustrated that she phoned ofsted to check if she'd been overlooked and they said that she may not inspected until 2016 when this cycle ends so potentially could be 8 years between inspections. How can that be right when they got satisfactory last time, I could sort of understand it if they had got outstanding

Edited by max321

around the same fed up of having staff meetings that start with "well you never know it could be this half term, we need to look at such and such as this has changed" I would love to be relaxed and not on high alert questioning and doubting ourselves. Sorry feeling as though we are meeting ourselves coming back.

I must, reluctantly, admit that this stress of an inspection possibly happening tomorrow has been beneficial to our setting, as it has made me incessantly seek and find things that aren't as good as they could be. I have edited the SEF and Development Plan several times over the past year, and when doing that found things to change in our policies, procedures and other documents - and written new ones! We got a better provision in some ways, but the constant pressure is not healthy... And, most importantly, I don't think the children would been worse off if I had put my energy into 'only' enjoying getting to know them and their world, and being creative with them in thinking and action, from a place of calm.

• Like 2

My last inspection was 5 years and 5 months ago!! I don't enjoy being on high alert all the time and we,ve also been told that it will just be some time before 2016

yep we have providers that have been over 5 years - not good is it!

.......and that's from someone who has 'dabbled with the dark arts' :ph34r::D

I recognise the 'high alert' as described by suewhit and griffclan5 - I think it's actually quite 'detrimental' - all that tension makes for an 'uncomfortable' environment for all in my humble......thing is the Inspection result has become so important.......bring back the days when we were inspected by Social services......

• Like 5

used to love my social services inspection, - cooker guard -check, window locks - check, socket cover - check, then kettle on and she always brought a packet of digestives with her, Ooh those were the days

.......and that's from someone who has 'dabbled with the dark arts' :ph34r::D

I recognise the 'high alert' as described by suewhit and griffclan5 - I think it's actually quite 'detrimental' - all that tension makes for an 'uncomfortable' environment for all in my humble......thing is the Inspection result has become so important.......bring back the days when we were inspected by Social services......

who me never :o:o :o :o:o:o:o:o:o:P

• Like 1

Is there any rhyme or reason for the length of time between inspections for those rated as good or outstanding? It seems to me ( and I wait to be shouted down here) but Ofsted seem to have been a victim of their own making, through the new need to inspect in cases of complaint, whether serious or not. How on earth can you manage a system of inspection when inspectors presuambly now have little control over their workload, as all complaints trigger immediate inspection? Could this be why many of us are waiting, waiting, waiting???

Edited by eyfs1966

I looked at inspection reports around this time last year and saw very many that were rated 'good' or 'outstanding' and had not had any compliant triggering the inspection. It didn't seem like some settings were put on hold.

I can't see much point in a four to six year old inspection report online to parents choosing an early years setting for their child...

• Like 1

Just to add to this conversation, the new OFSTED Framework came out yesterday I believe. It may look like the previosu version out a few weeks ago, but Settings which receive 'requires improvement' will now be inspected within 12 months rather than 2 years. This is in response to the consultation where many respondents said 4 years for a provider to improve to 'good' was too long.

The link is here

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/framework-for-regulation-of-provision-early-years-register

I cant quite find the link to the consultation results, if I find it Ill come back!

I do wonder what the capacity for inspectors will be given this increased number of inspections at a time when the number of inadequate and Satisfactory (that was) has recently gone up.

It went as well as can be, triggered only by a complaint though (which was not upheld), frustrates me that there is no come back on anonymous complainers who can say anything to Ofsted and trigger an inspection. That said, not sure if we would have got one for a while otherwise. Inspector lady was lovely actually, put us at ease. She was very focused on child learning journeys and development, checking all staffs knowledge (she spoke to every member), safeguarding proceedures and did a focused obs with the manager on an activity of her choice involving one member of staff. Asked lots of open questions to give you a chance to show you know what you are talking about. She engaged with children, watched everything like a hawk! spoke to parents and stayed all day from set up to pack away to observe.

Although there is no obvious come back on anonymous complainers, you can always seek comfort in the complaint not being upheld and you getting a happy inspection outcome, hopeful in the knowledge they will find out :D