Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you remember......

sunnyday

I'm not surprised it made you sick - it makes me feel sick just to think of it now!

And talking of that, I was just chatting to my hubby the other day about my packed lunches. Every day I had a meat paste sandwich (made with doorstep bread!!). I think my mum thought she was giving us a nice variety as we had a different flavour every day! I'm ashamed to admit that by the time I got to secondary school my sandwich was lobbed into the bushes as I walked to school......

I still buy meat/ fish paste, the ferrets like it as a treat and hubby sometimes likes it on toast.

We used to paste one day, then jam, then cheese spread, cucumber, tomatoe sauce and when the bread ran out crackers or biscuits with jam or cheese. Mine were chucked on the way to school too

My sandwiches were fine - it was the wrapping that was the problem- my dad used to insist the best paper to wrap bread in was the waxed stuff it came in (good point I suppose). Every one else had nice greaseproof paper (cling film not yet an option and tin foil far to expensive!) I had old bread paper.......... and was expected to take it home again for next day :o

xx

I'm not surprised it made you sick - it makes me feel sick just to think of it now!

And talking of that, I was just chatting to my hubby the other day about my packed lunches. Every day I had a meat paste sandwich (made with doorstep bread!!). I think my mum thought she was giving us a nice variety as we had a different flavour every day! I'm ashamed to admit that by the time I got to secondary school my sandwich was lobbed into the bushes as I walked to school......

Oh - paste - yuck, yuck, yuck - i was fed copious amounts of 'Sardine and Tomato' - I feel a little queasy just thinking about it :blink:

My sandwiches were fine - it was the wrapping that was the problem- my dad used to insist the best paper to wrap bread in was the waxed stuff it came in (good point I suppose). Every one else had nice greaseproof paper (cling film not yet an option and tin foil far to expensive!) I had old bread paper.......... and was expected to take it home again for next day :o

xx

Um....er.....would this be a good time to admit that I 'save' bread bags :ph34r: no probably not........ :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Oh - paste - yuck, yuck, yuck - i was fed copious amounts of 'Sardine and Tomato' - I feel a little queasy just thinking about it :blink:

Um....er.....would this be a good time to admit that I 'save' bread bags :ph34r: no probably not........ :rolleyes:

Is this one of those inappropriate hobbies Max was talking about?f Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Think it rather depends what you're saving them for!

• Like 1

Mother's Pride, or Wonderloaf, my favourite and still is, is the original Hovis wheat germ, not whole meal. I can remember being taken to the Ideal Homes Exhibition at Olympia and they were making on site mini Hovis loaves, I thought they were the best thing I had ever had!

bread wrapper here too, although I have a feeling it was more a cost thing than preference! Hovis mini loaves!!! My absolute favourite. If my great grandad gave me pocket money, mom would take me to the shop and I'd buy a mini loaf, a cucumber and some bath cubes. I was probably 4/5 at the time

bread wrapper here too, although I have a feeling it was more a cost thing than preference! Hovis mini loaves!!! My absolute favourite. If my great grandad gave me pocket money, mom would take me to the shop and I'd buy a mini loaf, a cucumber and some bath cubes. I was probably 4/5 at the time

Anyone else thinking - curious choices for a four year old......... :ph34r: :blink: :PxDxDxD

• Like 2

What are bath cubes? If they're what I'm thinking they are (solidified bath salts in a gold foil wrapper with a peculiar scent generally given by (at least one of) my mad aunts? why on earth would you put them in a sandwich?

That's them Helen - usually a wishy washy shade of lilac.........goodness only knows why the young Rea was eating them :blink:

• Like 1

And on the bus if anyone said 'and what do you want to be when you grow up?' I'd say a catholic or a Tom boy. Don't ask!!

I always wanted to be a Tom Boy after reading Little Women and adopting Jo as a heroine and was desperately disappointed when my mum said my sister was more of a tom boy than I was. My sister on the other hand was somewhat put out!

Don't remember having any aspirations to be a catholic although apparently I made up a new hymn when I was about 5. It went... Angel delight, oh angel delight! I think I was just requesting a favourite pudding. I did throw mum once by requesting a 'holy jumper' for my birthday. It was a lovely hand knitted one with a lacy pattern knitted into it - hence 'holey'. I did eventually get it in a fetching shade of egg yolk yellow!

Edited by HelenD26

What are bath cubes? If they're what I'm thinking they are (solidified bath salts in a gold foil wrapper with a peculiar scent generally given by (at least one of) my mad aunts? why on earth would you put them in a sandwich?

That's them. :) like sitting on grit in the bath, they never really disolved properly
  • Like 2

Still not really clear why you wanted to put them in a cucumber sandwich?!

None of the things I bought were connected. I only liked jam on the mini loaf, the cucumber, actually I think it was a half, was eaten as was, the bath cubes used instead of the washing up liquid dad used to put in the bath!

None of the things I bought were connected. I only liked jam on the mini loaf, the cucumber, actually I think it was a half, was eaten as was, the bath cubes used instead of the washing up liquid dad used to put in the bath!

All becomes clear - hope you never mixed any of them up!

I can remember being desperate to have Matey bubble bath like my friends had. That little blue plastic 'sailor' bottle standing on the bath end. Nope, only managed it for birthday once. Fairly liquid if you were lucky, but quite often it seemed we had dettol or something as all four of us shared the bath water and Mum thought it stopped germs swimming up our important little places!

• Like 3

We too shared our bath water but we were bathed separately. As the youngest I got to go in first always and my poor sister last by which time most of the bubbles had dissipated and the water was at best lukewarm. Sunday nights were bath time, after we'd listened to the Top 20 show and whilst that dreadful Sing Something Simple was on.