Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you remember......

sunnyday

Guest mukerjee1

Who remembers when kitchen matches were the size of small torpedo' s?

To quote Bill Bryson ' In those days kitchen matches were heavy-duty implements—more like signal flares than the weedy sticks we get today. You could strike them on any hard surface and fling them at least fifteen feet and they wouldn’t go out. Indeed, even when being beaten vigorously with two hands, as when lodged on the front of one’s sweater, they seemed positively determined not to fail.'

Not really reading a novel when I should be updating SEF....

Not really reading a novel when I should be updating SEF....

Yay! You can join the SEF avoidance gang!!! xD

Matches has made me think of 'spills' - think that's what they were called - my 'aunties' (they weren't really my aunties but always known as that) had an old cannon shell thingie on their fireplace full of 'spills' for firelighting - oh they were lovely - I spent many a happy hour playing with those! :1b

Just had a quick 'google' - they are called spills and they still make them! :1b

Yes but they don't have the same 'feel' to them :(

With regards to SEF writing - this thread promotes 'reflective thinking' therefore should be viewed as 'research' rather than 'avoidance.

SEF Avoidance Group - SAG? Is sagging really something anyone needs to be thinking about?! ;):ph34r: :blink:

No! :oxDxD

Could be worse than sagging - what about Group Avoiding Sef.

GAS anyone?

Right - we need to give this some further thought :blink: I will put lots of effort into this - obviously so that I don't need to think about my SEF :ph34r:xDxD

• Like 1

After reading this, I'm left wondering why I didn't get nice orange juice for free, why I never saw tights with knickers attached and why we didnt have huge matched or spills. Where was I when all this was going on? I'm not that much younger than everyone else am I?

Champion the wonder horse, white horses, black beauty. What would a little girl have done without them?

Who had the pop man? Our neighbour did and they'd got 3 kids, hoe could they afford it if we couldn't with 2?

The 'pop' man, a baker with a basket of goodies, the potato man too.......(our dog bit him he wasn't so keen to call after that :blink: ), an indoor 'coal hole'..........

I need to think about why we had a 'salvage sack' into which mum put newspapers, mags, cardboard........what was that all about - early recycling or some left over thing from the war years?????

One of my favourite children's books is 'The Tiger who came to Tea' - love the page.......'it can't be........' pictures of boys on bikes, milk floats...... :1b

Hubby came home the other day with a jar of black jacks and fruit salad sweets... a freebie he got in a hotel celebrating 40 years.. they were delicious.. we fought over them!

Nan always had a man with a suitcase call selling dusters, polish, shoe brushes etc... he used to give me tiny tins of lovely smelling lavender furniture polish.. for my dolls house.. along with mini dusters... think they were his samples.. I loved them...

Tights with knickers were never long enough.. always been a lanky one and the crotch always reached mid thigh.. in fact early tights were all too short for me...

we had retro sweets at our school reunion last April - black jacks, parma violets, sherbert bonbons, cherry lips, fruit salads, sherbert dibdabs, licourice wheels, gobstoppers, love hearts, fizzers, tom thumbs etc complete with paper bags and sweet jars with scoops. No wonder I had a mouth full of fillings by the age of 13

Inge -

I remember having to roll the top of my tights over and over to pull them up, but they always fell down :( . I was NOT a lanky one!!

My husband always used to say I needed braces - or armholes in the 'waist' bit!

• Like 1

Saturday morning pictures!

Oh yeah - and I still call it 'the pictures'.......grandchildren have no idea what I'm talking about!!! xD

Used to be two 'picture houses' in our local town - one was the Odean and fairly 'posh' - the other was referred to (affectionately) as 'the flea pit'. xD .....

• Like 1

Saturday morning pictures!

we still have saturday morning pictures in our local cinema and it is still called pictures and is always well attended by children