Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Electronic cigarettes

JacquieL

I know this isn't EYFs related but I am hoping that the good sense of members can help me with this one.

My daughter, with ASD and learning problems who lives independently with a 24/7 care, has a team of carers. One of the team uses e-cigarettes as staff are not allowed to smoke at work. My daughter, Jenny, is getting quite upset as she thinks that smoking is wrong and cannot see the difference between these and the the real thing. I have asked her care organisers about it but they are happy because they are not the real thing. I would be interested to hear your opinions on this.

Interesting Jacquie, I think it isa backward step in society - after all we have, I think, got quite used to not seeing people smoke or very few and I wouldn't want a return to seeing lots of people out and about doing it again, interestingly a member of my staff tried them and thought they were fantastic, then one tipsy evening accepted a real cigarette and has abandoned the elites.

To get to your point, I think your daughter has every right to say she doesn't want this carer supporting her and seeing her smoking these things. If it upsets her they should be sensitive to this. Maybe time for a dreaded policy about these things in the workplace!

• Like 1

Personally, I don't like them and although I know they aren't the 'real' thing, I think they look so similar that I really can't see a distinction between them. I would tell this lady that they are not to be used in your daughters home. End of.

Edited by narnia
  • Like 1

I'm a smoker. My asthmatic, smoking's filthy and will kill you son took up smoking but now uses e cigs. i hate him using it in the house or in the car, smoking is an outdoor only thing these days. I think you should stick to your guns, your daughter doesn't like it so it must stop. If smoking isn't allowed what would she do if e cigs weren't invented?

• Like 1

We have a policy at college of not allowing them to be smoked on the premises - if anyone wants to use them they need to go outside into the designated area. In short they are treated just as if they were real cigarettes.

Ultimately they are a cigarette replacement tool - and as such should not be available to people during their working hours unless they work for themselves in their own home. If they needed a cigarette they wouldn't be able to light up, so why should they be allowed to use the e-cigarettes whilst working?

I don't think there is much research into how safe they are in terms of 'passive smoking' and I would definitely stick to your guns. If it is upsetting your daughter then it shouldn't be allowed to happen in her home.

Gosh. It is ages since I wrote such a direct post! :ph34r:

• Like 3

I'm with the majority too.

If she would be expected to manage a shift without a cigarette she can manage one without the electronic version. There are other ways she can get nicotine if she needs it.

In my opinion it sounds the wrong message about the acceptability of smoking.

I don't know what chemicals are absorbed by others but I do know that both of my daughters (who have Asperger's) find the smell of them unpleasant and intrusive. It probably isn't as strong as cigarette smoke but that's irrelevant.

Last, but by no means least, this is happening in Jenny's home. Like everyone else, she has the right to ask people not to do things which make her feel uncomfortable or cause her distress in her home. She shouldn't have to justify it. If she feels that it is inappropriate, it shouldn't be happening.

• Like 2

I think you are within your rights to request that your daughter is not in their presence when they do this....its no different to chewing gum, wearing low cut clothes or anything else and the employer should really see this.

If you/NHS etc are paying for a service then you are the employer and should be able to meet the requests of the users of the service.

They have a responsibility towards vulnerable people, especially If there are learning disabilities. It could easily have an adverse affect where your daughter likes the person then slowly learns to like the things they do.....its a frightening thought.

Best of luck with this - seek further advice from CAB or even ACAS (but I think we all know how easy it is to insert a sentence in the policies and have them adhered to by staff.

Spiral :-)