Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspection information and guidance...

Inge

Not seen this on here.. apologies if it is a repeat and I missed it.. some may find it useful..

This newsletter provides inspectors and stakeholders with information and guidance about our inspection work in early years.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-june-2013

Thanks Inge :1b

I've just been reading that this morning actually. The bit about the development statements was interesting

Wasn't it - well I'm confused now :blink: doesn't take a lot! :ph34r:xD

Having just done 3 days inspector training (ducks now :ph34r: ) there was a significant amount of discussion about how development matters is being sidelined and how "other" developmental frameworks are available!

The main problem with DM would appear to be that some providers were using it "checklist" style to mark off children's development.

As was discussed at least with DM there was some uniformity across settings and there is nothing to replace it.

Having just done 3 days inspector training (ducks now :ph34r: ) there was a significant amount of discussion about how development matters is being sidelined and how "other" developmental frameworks are available!

The main problem with DM would appear to be that some providers were using it "checklist" style to mark off children's development.

As was discussed at least with DM there was some uniformity across settings and there is nothing to replace it.

That's really interesting Sue (if a little mind blowing!)

What are these 'other' developmental frameworks of which you speak - or is this knowledge for those that practice the dark arts only :oxDxD :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Sadly no other developmental frameworks were named and shamed (although personally I think this could have been just a little bit useful!) and the trainers admitted to continuing to use DM although a bit more surreptitiously than they would have been in the not to recent past.

A continual thread was impact - so if there is any tip here it is look at what you do and note the impact - keep asking "so what".

e.g., The childminder supplies play equipment that interests the children,(SO WHAT) which encourages their language (or something like that).

I also checked out the issue of ratios for the under 3's as this has been bubbling away on the forum - our trainers checked back with Ofsted who responded that ratios for 2 year olds (e.g., a child not yet 3) were 1:4 irrespective of the setting - so those being told that they can do 1:8 or even worse 1:13 in schools because they have rising 3s (e.g., children not yet 3) beware!

As for "practising the dark arts" Sunnyday - I haven't shifted to the dark side just yet - I now have to decide whether I want to do the last 2 days before my conversion is complete - there's still time to save myself yet xDxDxD

• Like 5