Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Releasing butterflies

OK, this is a bit odd but...

We've had caterpillars this year which have (scarily quickly) become butterflies. Has been so much fun but now is the time to release them! I'm just wondering how? Do I take the 'butterfly garden' net outside, pin back the lid and wait? Do I open it up and shake them out?

I obviously don't want to damage them but I can't see how to do it. Anyone else ever done this?

we did the same just opened up but sometimes if reluctant we helped a little. Ours are still cosy in their beds but usually ready to fly the nest the same time as our leavers! :-)

OK, this is a bit odd but...

We've had caterpillars this year which have (scarily quickly) become butterflies. Has been so much fun but now is the time to release them! I'm just wondering how? Do I take the 'butterfly garden' net outside, pin back the lid and wait? Do I open it up and shake them out?

I obviously don't want to damage them but I can't see how to do it. Anyone else ever done this?

We always let the children hold the butterflies, before releasing them. Makes for a great photo opportunity, and adds to their sense of wonder as they watch them flutter away off their hands. If the butterflies didn't fly off of their own accord, we would just put them back in their house and try again later.

Enjoy - it is really a magical experience!

same as happymaz - it's a good lesson in care and concern for living things and great for discussion or how they use/need wings to fly away from predators!!!! so we need to be extra careful - and seeing how delicate they are. enjoy!! x

Well, we did it - 3 flew and 2 needed a little coaxing. There was an enormous gasp as the first one flew out and most stayed to watch the next couple. After that just the die hards stayed for the reluctant fliers. Have some lovely video of the children saying things like "Come on, you can do it!" and "Don't be scared, come and enjoy the fresh air." to them.

Has been so lovely - have saved the chrysalis shells for them to explore tomorrow and will definitely be getting more next year.

Maz - how did you get them to perch on fingers/hands? I had a couple of little girls who were desperate to do it but I didn't think we could and wasn't sure how anyway. Luckily one girl is staying with me as a Y1 next year so she can have a go then!

• Like 1

Ours are all in chrysalis' but they didn't secure themselves very well to the paper and dropped off :( Only one is still attached...

That happened to one of ours, I just laid it on one of the flowers and it was fine ... :1b well, it WAS fine until the big day came and it was time to release them ... some of the children had the chance to hold them on their hand ... they stayed their for some time ... brilliant for the 'photo shoot' ... the anticipation of the great release was too much ... but then it happened ... the butterfly flew up into the air ... and ... ... a blackbird swooped down ... :o ... :blink: ... and it was GONE! :huh: Ditto butterfly number two :( :mellow: .

x

That happened to one of ours, I just laid it on one of the flowers and it was fine ... :1b well, it WAS fine until the big day came and it was time to release them ... some of the children had the chance to hold them on their hand ... they stayed their for some time ... brilliant for the 'photo shoot' ... the anticipation of the great release was too much ... but then it happened ... the butterfly flew up into the air ... and ... ... a blackbird swooped down ... :o ... :blink: ... and it was GONE! :huh: Ditto butterfly number two :( :mellow: .

x

Oh no! :o:(

Ours are due for release on Friday - think I will do a risk assessment for this activity - and here was I thinking this would be a breeze xDxDxD

Well I think you should and furthermore I would like to see a copy please! :DxD :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)