Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What would you do?

We are in a large noisy hall which means that sometimes quiet spaces are hard to find. We have two children who need extra support with language. The SALT has suggested using our upstairs room (which is normally only used for meetings and private conversations) but this would mean my SEN being away from sight and hearing of everybody else. I am really not happy with this situation at all, I feel it leaves the SEN very vulnerable!!!

However the SALT feels that the children concerned will not concentrate with any other stimulus around them. We have no separate rooms downstairs and it seems outside or in the corridor is out as this is still too much stimulus!!!

I just wondered in my situation what other managers would do?

We have an area that we can take children to if they need to have 1-1 time for salt etc but this is rare we normally try to find a quiet corner of the hall to play in. I dont like taking children out too much as i dont think this is very inclusive. Are you pack away?

If she was a childminder she would be with children on her own almost all of the time.

TAs in schools often work with children on their own.

Practitioners changing nappies often do this on their own.

I've worked in a room on my own in a nursery for long periods alone when the numbers were appropriate.

Children get left with adults on their own all the time. I can't really see how your staff member is so vulnerable.

We have an area that we can take children to if they need to have 1-1 time for salt etc but this is rare we normally try to find a quiet corner of the hall to play in. I dont like taking children out too much as i dont think this is very inclusive. Are you pack away?

Yes, I agree it's not ideal really.......

What about a nice quiet corner of your garden - oh do you have a garden :blink: or a small group of 3 or 4 children with two practitioners when everyone else is in the garden - oh I'm back to the garden again - do you have a garden :blink: :D

Children get left with adults on their own all the time. I can't really see how your staff member is so vulnerable.

Just popped back to say - I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered about any of my staff being alone with children - just not too keen on the idea of children being 'taken off' to another room........I think I'll be quiet now - not explaining myself very well :blink:

• Like 3

Just popped back to say - I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered about any of my staff being alone with children - just not too keen on the idea of children being 'taken off' to another room........I think I'll be quiet now - not explaining myself very well :blink:

If your SENco is not in ratios then being on their own with a child shouldn't pose too many worries, however, I do understand where you are coming from in this matter, it could lead to misunderstandings and do you know how she would feel about being in a vulnerable position towards allegations against herself i.e., is she happy to go off on her own with the children?

Our book corner is screened off, and has very soft furnishing inside it, it does help when we do SALT type things as the echo is not so bad in there at all, I am able to remain in ratios as I am still in the room.

The children would perhaps be distracted no matter where you take them because it's "different".

• Like 1

I really did leave a reply up there!

What I said was...i understand we shouldn't be worried especially when we think of CMs but it made me uncomfortable when our staff had one member of staff working with one child behind closed doors. I trust her more than anyone I know (good friends with long history) so it wasn't that, it was the implications should a member of the public or a parent arrive because the area could be seen from the front door.

I hated having to tell the staff not to do it, its supposedly the point of the CRB afterall, but I felt it placed staff in a potentially damaging situation.

I'm not happy that they can't though being trustworthy professionals :(

thanks everyone!

we are a pack-away setting. We are in a community hall so our garden is the section of ground at the front of the building, so yes we do have a garden of a sort but its not far from traffic noise and all the children like being outside so it tends to get more noisy than the hall!!!

I do trust my member of staff completely but we had a bit of a bad example where one of my staff had an allegation made against her and we couldn't 'disprove' it as for that split second she was out of site of other staff. It was years ago and only a split second but it was challenging to deal with for many reasons and I guess this has just made me more carefully than we were before this.

I feel awful for even having to think like this as I do and can trust all my staff completely :(

ok so if you are not happy doing it (and i can understand that) then we need to consider how to acheive your goals in the classroom. Have you tried pop up tents/dens sub dividing your classroom into smaller sections creating communication friendly spaces (elizabeth jarman)> is there something in particular you need to work on with these two?

• Like 1

ok so if you are not happy doing it (and i can understand that) then we need to consider how to acheive your goals in the classroom. Have you tried pop up tents/dens sub dividing your classroom into smaller sections creating communication friendly spaces (elizabeth jarman)> is there something in particular you need to work on with these two?

We have looked quite a lot into Elizabeth Jarmen's work and have communication friendly spaces available all the time but the SALT still felt the hall was too echoy! to be honest I didn't think it was that bad!! we Just need to have them concentrating without distraction and working on articulation of certain speech sounds and instructions with more than one part to it really! However we do this a lot in other ways throughout provision anyway!!

Is it possible during a quieter time, such as story time or whatever, to find a quieter corner?

It may be possible if we choose the times and days will give it thought, to be honest we have such a lively bunch at the moment who are all active learners, we tend to have noisier large group time such as parachute games, or ring games, action songs etc... but there must be a time, we aren't noisy all the time honest :P

• Like 1