Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Response to my letter from Ms Truss

Rea

I'd be interested to see the research which states that provision led by highly qualified practitioners improves outcomes for children. My understanding is that the play and exploration led by children and supported by highly qualified practitioners is the best provision.

Does she understand the difference I wonder?

• Like 1

I cant really remember what I asked but she seems to have twisted the answers to match what she would have liked me to of asked. I'll need to read it properly before I can be sure though.

To everyone who reads it, Beehive very kindly pointed out my address is on the letter. It will take too long to rescan and upload again (well, maybe not long, I just cant be bothered!) so if I might ask that any correspondence via post include chocolate I'd be more than obliged xD

• Like 5

No requirement for outdoor play????!!!! What about 3.57 in the Statutory Framework:

'Providers must provide access to an outdoor play area, or, if that is not possible, ensure that outdoor activities are planned and taken on a daily basis.'

• Like 1

I cant really remember what I asked but she seems to have twisted the answers to match what she would have liked me to of asked.

That's exactly what it looks like to me too. She has her stock answers and won't digress from them no matter what.

And why is she so obsessed with French nurseries. Why hasn't she looked at the proven track record of Scandinavia and Reggio Emilia. Probably because they don't fit in with her blinkered vision.

Edited to say: Well done Rea for actually getting a reply from a government minister!

Edited by Beehive
  • Like 1

I'd be interested to see the research which states that provision led by highly qualified practitioners improves outcomes for children. My understanding is that the play and exploration led by children and supported by highly qualified practitioners is the best provision.

Wasn't this the EPPE project? My brain is in weekend mode so I can't be sure that I've dragged that out of my memory banks effectively. I'm going to go and do a bit of research...

Tracked down the EPPE summary. Here's what it says:-

"Settings which have staff with higher qualifications, especially with good proportion of trained teachers on the staff, show higher quality and their children make more progress.

Where settings view educational and social as complementary and equal in importance, children make better all round progress.

Effective pedagogy includes interaction traditionally associated with the term 'teaching', the provision of instructive learning environments, and 'sustained shared thinking' to extend children's learning."

There follows a lot about what quality looks like, amongst which I found:-

"In effective settings, the balance of who initiated the activities, staff or child, was about equal. Children were encouraged to initiate activities as often as the staff. Similarly in effective settings, the extent to which staff extended child-initiated interactions was important.

In all of the case study settings, the research found that the children spent most of their time in small groups. Freely chosen play activities often provided the best opportunities for adults to extend children's thinking. It may be that extending child-initiated play, coupled with the provision of teacher-initiated group work, improves opportunities for learning."

This is from the briefing document in 2003 - although I'm sure there are later reports. You can find this one here: http://eppe.ioe.ac.uk/eppe/eppepdfs/RB%20summary%20findings%20from%20Preschool.pdf

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)