Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'What would schoolification of our nurseries mean?'

Steve

Inge has put it on the FSF facebook page, really good to see the media looking at the other side, pity its not on the BBC front page though, but its a start :1b

It's a shame that it is referred to as "schoolification" - once again demonising the EYFS in schools, with the implicit suggestion that everything in schools is rigid and formal. This is not the case. I have been in many schools in the past few weeks where wonderful outdoor areas and forest schools are providing excellent educational experiences for children right to the very end of the EYFS phase.

I find it sad when there is a tacit sense that it's a battle between schools and nurseries.

Cx

It's a clumsy term isn't it, although I think it's being used as shorthand for a view of education that involves serried ranks of desks and children having to put their hands up before speaking. Not that that kind of thing really exists in primary education any longer, if anywhere...

We should try to come up with a better term don't you think? Any suggestions?

Shame its not on the front pages of every newspaper and news broadcast for everyone to see. I have seen SO many changes in the early years since I qualified and with the implemenation of the new EYFS I really feel that the whole curriculum, ethos and understanding of the early years is the best it has ever been and the children are at the heart of it. If Ms Truss has much more to say, all of this will be lost and more changes implemented just for the sake of it and not for the benefit of the children. I am not sure how many more big reforms I am prepared to see through and I am sure I am not the only one. Currently my group has 20 boys and only 6 girls on roll!!! The thought of trying to educate those boys in a restricted indoor enviroment fills me with terror!!

• Like 1

It's a clumsy term isn't it, although I think it's being used as shorthand for a view of education that involves serried ranks of desks and children having to put their hands up before speaking. Not that that kind of thing really exists in primary education any longer, if anywhere...

Unfortunately Steve, Im not so sure about that. :blink:

• Like 1

I don't see where this children can't go outside bit has come from though - isn't her comment that children should be being taught by adults more? The outdoors slant on the BBC piece is a bit of a red herring maybe. The balance of CI/AI is down to the practitioner as per the EYFS statutory document. What Truss is saying as I interpret her speech is that the balance should be more towards the AI. Her opinion maybe, and it's a pretty uninformed one, but she'd have to rewrite the framework to make it so.

Cx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)