Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number of children in setting per toilets.....

Hi, I am curious to how many children you have per toilet? I remember reading in the EYFS it's 10 children per toilet. Is that the guideline every follows? Many thanks for your replies x

Also guidance recommends (but does not make it statutory) to have a separate loo for staff - therefore 3 loos for 30 children plus 1 for staff. In my area one of our setting's were told that having a separate loo for staff was the difference between their getting an outstanding judgement rather than a good :huh:

We have one toilet that's easily accessible and two which are down a corridor. Ofsted were happy knowing we could access the other two if we needed but that's mainly where staff go, if they're desperate because they smell!

Toilets smell, not staff! xD

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Not all settings have the facility for a different staff toilet...

working in halls etc you have to work with what is available... we had 2 toilets, and registered for 20 children, for years we could not do full daycare because of the need for a separate toilet for staff .. EYFS changed that and said while desirable was not essential, so we were at last able to offer what parents had been asking for.longer hours.

i did manage to get the use of a separate toilet, but ti was in a different building and we needed an extra staff member for us to remain in ratio and for staff to use it!

We could only have 20 children , plenty of space, plenty of children on wait list, but not enough toilets.

Guest kmagee

Hi we have 1 toilet, although in theory ( though not in practice) we could access the adjacent school toilets. We've had a 'Notice of decision to remove conditions of registration' from Ofsted.

They have decided that we are no longer limited to taking in 12 children at a time and have REMOVED the following clause in our contract:

"May care for no more than 12 children under 8 years, of these, not more than 12 may be in early years group, and of these none may be under 2 years."

I was a bit surprised!!

can anyone explain WHY we should have a seperate staff loo?? I have always thought it implied we must have strange wee!!

You obviously do not have any male members of staff!! Mind you, some on the girls....jeeeeez!!

Hi we have 1 toilet, although in theory ( though not in practice) we could access the adjacent school toilets. We've had a 'Notice of decision to remove conditions of registration' from Ofsted.

They have decided that we are no longer limited to taking in 12 children at a time and have REMOVED the following clause in our contract:

"May care for no more than 12 children under 8 years, of these, not more than 12 may be in early years group, and of these none may be under 2 years."

I was a bit surprised!!

Hi emmamc

We have all had one of those letters - it is qualified however with a statement about fulfilling the 'Statutory Requirements' :1b so it's (thankfully) not quite a license to do whatever we wish :1b

As a setting who has just had a toilet refurbishment to be able to increase our numbers on roll ( an open registration as mentioned above) we have tried to stick to the one toilet ten children thing, but on the days we have over 40 children the staff toilet can be counted in and our Advisor also pointed out that children in nappies and who use potties don't need to be in the 'toilet' count as they aren't using the toilets ! It is only a recommendation not a rule and Ofsted have never identified it as an issue with us.

• Like 1

We have never had a seperate staff toilet, so put a written policy in place about how we manage this. Ofsted have always seemed to find this acceptable. We are being forced to move to a different part of the school in September and this currently only has two toilets, but the room has space for more than twenty children. As the toilet cubicles are quite large I am finding out if we could possibly squeeze three toilets in so we can increase our registration. (We have no spaces now until September 2014) so this would really help us.