Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home Schooling

Anyone had any experience of this? We have a child who has only just recently started with us. Mum has moved the child from pre-school to pre-school and has chosen to keep her at home until she is 5. She is now saying that she has not applied for a school place as she plans to home school her. I have never had any experience of this but are there any legal avenues we need to follow or forms that need completing as she is telling me she doesn't need to do this.

I am going to get on to LEA but I thought someone out there may have had some experience of this that they could share.

TIA

I have had several children who have gone onto home schooling from preschool and have never had to do anything different for them. I do a transfer form just because it is a good way to summarise where a child is at and have passed on the learning journey to the parent. They have contacted the LEA to inform them that they are home schooling during the school application process.

yep absolutely agree... i have had lots do this over the years, most very successfully. I have one family who have sent all 3 children to us but none of them have gone to school ( i was always rather pleased that they came to us :1b ) They are the most polite, sociable and knowledgeable children i know :wub: i have often offered resources to help these families out and we tend to keep in touch with them because they have time to visit. Your Mum does have the right to keep her child with you until the term after her 5th Birthday if she wants to and you have spaces

• Like 1

We have a little girl who just joined us this term, who should be in reception but there is no room. She was being homeschooled but as she isn't 5 until July there is no legal reason for her to be seen by anyone official. Her siblings started with us and when I found out her age I said she could come to us for her funded hours. However now she is with us we need to fill in the profile for her, after knowing her a term! yikes!!!!

Edited by laura

We've had what will be a 'homeschooler' start last week (other 2 older siblings are) as far as mum is concerned she is only coming to us for fun, under no circumstances does she want any tracking or obs done on her child - anybody have this issue? Or is it an issue? My only thought was if Ofsted wanted to track that child, but then are we allowed to say we are following mums request? Luckily the child is already 3 so no 2 yr check needed as I'm sure she would've said no.

We've had what will be a 'homeschooler' start last week (other 2 older siblings are) as far as mum is concerned she is only coming to us for fun, under no circumstances does she want any tracking or obs done on her child - anybody have this issue? Or is it an issue? My only thought was if Ofsted wanted to track that child, but then are we allowed to say we are following mums request? Luckily the child is already 3 so no 2 yr check needed as I'm sure she would've said no.

Hi thumper - not sure this is the 'right' answer :blink: but I would be tracking for myself - not to share with mum if that's what she wants......

• Like 1

If she is claiming funding it may be that it is a condition of you receiving the money that you have to complete the obs etc... would check your agreement and/or contact them for advice...

• Like 1

We've had two of our 2 yr olds refuse to allow us to send off their progress checks. Our LA has given us a standard form to complete, at the end it asks for a signature if they refuse to allow it to leave the premises. Which they have both done, their right.

We've had two of our 2 yr olds refuse to allow us to send off their progress checks. Our LA has given us a standard form to complete, at the end it asks for a signature if they refuse to allow it to leave the premises. Which they have both done, their right.

Lynned...can i ask who do you send your two year old checks to?

We're finding our HV's are getting their 2 yr checks in so early there's no way they can have ours before they do theirs, like you Lynned I'm not convinced they're even being looked at, we haven't had any refuse us sending them on to HV yet, but a couple have said they don't want things like S &L concerns included on them, to be honest I wonder what the point in them is, some children aren't getting them as not coming in until funded 3's and not all are being sent to HV's anyway, if we have concerns they get raised through normal channels anyway.