Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training - Are you getting much?!

I have a question 'Training' - where do you access your training from?

We used to have quite a good training list from our Early Years advisory team on both the Welfare & Education side of things but in the last 12 months things have really gone down (understandably)

We are struggling even to access some of the mandatory training eg Safeguarding, Health & Safety

Quite a few of the courses seem to be going as 'webinars' which run in the day, which when you don't have internet access at the setting is of no use.

On the education side of things a lot we now have to pay for to have our Early Years advisors to come in and do 'in-house' training which we can't afford.

We also can't afford to access the 'outside' training providers and I'm really beginning to get a little concerned about our lack of training :(

Umm its difficult isn't, all our staff are registered with cpd online (whether each county has its own version I don't know) I'm the setting co-ordinator which means I get the emails staff get regarding traing being offered, they can sign themselves on to a course but I have to confirm the booking, our biggest problem is the distance we have to go to access most of it, and I'm finding my EY advisor is very good at coming in and telling my senco to book on to this and that ( often whole days - 4 in past half term).

Also agree about costs now, used to have all staff first aid trained but can now only afford to keep enough of them trained to ensure we are meeting requirements.

Edit : Not heard of web innards being offered in our area yet. ( lol meant to be webinars)

Edited by mouse63

We have CPD online the same as Mouse63. But the amount of training offered has decreased enormously. We do get safeguarding, although this is now only 3 hours, even for first timers. We have to sort out and pay for first aid ourselves. We did it as a setting last year and it cost over £700!! Luckily though, the company running it have asked to use our nursery as a training venue, so I will get a bit of a discount next time. Food safety is done online.

The 'curriculum' type of courses are just about non-existent now, just the odd one now and again.

We have a fantastic choice of training avaliable in our training directory and from cluster meetings at our childrens centre. A lot of our training is still free as well. I thought that it was the same everywhere. We are all going off to a castle tomorrow for outdoor play training!!! In fact my training hours are averaging about 45 a year and not just the required 24!!!

• Like 2

We have a fantastic choice of training avaliable in our training directory and from cluster meetings at our childrens centre. A lot of our training is still free as well. I thought that it was the same everywhere. We are all going off to a castle tomorrow for outdoor play training!!! In fact my training hours are averaging about 45 a year and not just the required 24!!!

And which one of the cornish castles would that be???

Pendennis is my hometown castle!

Cx

Wow lucky you!

CPD on line is only available for maintained settings in our area

make the most of it Zigzag get on as many as you can and your staff. I'm sure Cornwall will succumb at some point and start backing off and asking you to pay for it.

• Like 1

Sounds great zigzag - hope you have a brilliant time!

Thumper - back to your question - nope not getting much training in at all :( various reasons really.........I loathe our booking system in Kent - all on line stuff - all feels unnecessarily complicated to me :( I don't expect the glossy brochures of yesteryear but I do very much prefer a hard copy of some sort that we can look at during staff meetings and make some decisions all together as a staff team - this accessing on line only just seems to make things so 'disjointed' somehow :( also doesn't seem to be much on offer that we need and then add to that the distance we might have to travel if we do manage to find something of interest.......oh dear this is all very negative - sorry......

On the 'bright side' my deputy is undertaking SENCO training next month - yay - I am passing that particular responsibility on to her! :1b

I am really tempted by some of the Leadership and Management 'stuff' - but and it's a big but they are 5 day courses and I don't want to be out of my setting for 5 days really :(

I need First aid this year - hmmmm - must do something about that :blink: :1b

• Like 1

We seem to have as much training available as ever - and constant emails reminding us about courses coming up - must have lots of places to fill. Don't seem to make the connection that settings now can't afford for staff to do more than the mandatory training.

I have a morning on doing supervisions next week - should be useful anyway.

Jo

We have a reasonable amount of training available but i do have a problem with the level it is pitched at...tricky when you have a staff team who are doing degrees they want something challenging not repetative and i get cross paying for something if they come back and feel it is useless.

Has anyone been on any training that was really good recently? or is there something that you want to do but haven't been able to find?

We have a reasonable amount of training available but i do have a problem with the level it is pitched at...tricky when you have a staff team who are doing degrees they want something challenging not repetative and i get cross paying for something if they come back and feel it is useless.

Yes, when we were getting training, a lot on the 'education' side of things were duplicated under different titles!

I don't expect the glossy brochures of yesteryear

I need First aid this year - hmmmm - must do something about that :blink: :1b

First point - WE still have mega glossy, lots of full page colour photographs.... lovely big coloured boxes and fancy pants coloured bands and borders...........

.................................... which comes to us in an email for us to print off ( sorry that's just not going to happen :ph34r: )

Second point - We've had contact from a group of firefighters that have set up there own training company for first-aid ...AND fully approved by out LA for early years settings!!! :D ::1a :D ................gutted that we all did ours last year I have to add. ;) ;)

Agreeing with others about the content of many courses, however part of me understands why- with the content of many L3 qualifications in the last few years.

Have done some great training recently that was 'bought in' by LA. Leadership and Management by the Elizabeth Garret training I think? Really good and free for a change.

x