Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

how much should i be paid for being a deputy?

i have been working at my setting for nealry 6 years and have worked myself up to deputy manager i deal with the whole nurserys planning and assesments, and deal with all issues regarding the staff. when the manager is not here which is quite often i do registers and more of the admin side of things aswell!!

I have a level 4 HND in early years and would like to know am i actually getting paid the right amount for what i am doing??

What pay should i be expecting??

Also as i have my level 4 what kind of jobs can i do with this qualification?

A maintained setting usually follows set salaries for each level, but if you're in the PVI sector there is no set wage, its more a case of what your setting can afford and what you were taken on as. Our manager is on £7.95 an hour, deputy is on £7.25

slightly higher but similar sort of pay to Rea, i think as manager and deputy we deserve higher wage for the responsibility and the never ending list of jobs but we can't afford more

our session managers (similar to deputy managers) get £8.40 ph and certainly do not do

i have been working at my setting for nealry 6 years and have worked myself up to deputy manager i deal with the whole nurserys planning and assesments, and deal with all issues regarding the staff. when the manager is not here which is quite often i do registers and more of the admin side of things aswell!!

I have a level 4 HND in early years and would like to know am i actually getting paid the right amount for what i am doing??

What pay should i be expecting??

Also as i have my level 4 what kind of jobs can i do with this qualification?

Our session managers (similar to room leaders) get £8.40 ph and certainly do not do any of the tasks you mention above!...think they must be on to a good thing, but as others have said depends on circumstances and as a non-profit making community group we tend to pay better than private settings who are more interested in profits, than paying staff well ;)

• Like 1

Minimum wage is a two edged sword. I want to pay staff more but minimum wage prevents that, lower paid staff have to have an increase which prevents me giving the higher paid staff one.

I've done the lottery tonight so tomorrow none of this will matter. I'll be able to buy playgroup, install an administrator, keep my manager, who wants to step down, and never worry about paying the rent or wages. I'll be able to tell the council I dont need their funding too, so we wont have to follow their funding conditions, life will be more fun because everyone will have time to play :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 3

My deputy is paid 9.93 per hour, which is £1.44 per hour more than the rest of the staff and she is worth every penny!! She obviously deputizes when I am not there and does loads of other bits besides.

I think it also depends on where you live. We are just outside of London, probably in one of the most expensive parts of the country but I know that we do pay well, even compared to other like for like groups. I think this is one of the reasons why my staff have stayed for so long!!

• Like 1

Yes, it all depends on which part of the country you are in.In a way, you need to look at how much others are paid but having said that, a deputy , as other posts have mentioned, really can mean/ do a varied range of tasks(or not).

I know several settings where the deputy will do lots of the paperwork, policies, etc and really take the weight off the manager. Others, do very little on top of everyday level 3 nursery nurse apart from being the named deputy and making sure the setting runs smoothly in the absence of the manager.

• Like 3

We pay all our staff a salary, but the hourly rate for a deputy is £9.60. (South East) . They are slightly better off as they get paid for 38 weeks, which includes

bank holidays and inset days the school closes for + holiday pay and a xmas bonus.

I think a lot depends on the size of the setting, as we were able to increase our pay scales when we took more children per session (35).

• 2 weeks later...

I was being paid £11/hr as a manager - my deputy £10 - I'm a TA now and earn £7.10/hr - but no work at home - still it's a bit criminal for the post I hold - nursery workers are never paid enough, they do such an important job - will it ever be recognised !

I know it sounds sooo bad compared to what others are on. Im also level 4, the senco and Enco and whatever else they throw my way.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you everybody i think i really need to make a big decision whether to stay or not as a pay rise is definately not on the adgenda. I pretty much run the nursery and do alot more than im sure im supposed to. The manager/owner only worls 9-3 has as many breaks as possible and only works during the term. owwww if only!!!