Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Laminating for display boards...

Hi,

When did this become such a trend on our display boards? Early years settings laminate more than schools... is it really aesthetically pleasing to look at lamintaed work or does it take away the textured feel that children, staff and parents actually appreciate....what are your views?

no laminating in my setting, no displays just art and photos the children have decided to put up ( and these don't stay up long as the children usually want to take them home the next session) I only laminate things which need to last such as name cards and individual visual timetable.

Clearly Finleymaid! I should pay you lot a visit! :P Oh you would be surprised in some if the nurseriesI have worked in, laminating is the order iof the day. This got me thinking about the whole environment in the setting... who do we make it attractive for? Children or parents? Does it really reflect the child's voice and their perception of the world or is it geared towards adults?

you are on my wavelength Alabaloo, I stripped my setting down in the summer removing all coloured 'all singing, all dancing' display boards and replaced them with neutral felt CP boards at child level, add to that a box of velcro spots and the children take over the displays, putting up what they want, when they want for their enjoyment and our appreciation

max321, I am rethinking this whole display board business. all neat and tidy etc etc and really like the idea of stripping it all down and having the boards at child height. Call me crazy but I would like the children to create the environment the way they see fit. We will collarborate and work together on this as a project...Getting excited just talking about it...I wonder what the outcome would be...what would it look like...how and why would the children arrange the environment/ furniture etc that way....?

Has anyone ever emabrked on this, if so how did it go?

I used to laminate because we were a pack away setting, so if we didn't the stuff would often not survive overnight because try as we might, the display boards would inevitably get a bit bashed. That said, I would photocopy a piece if it was being laminated, and wouldn't laminate paintings and so on because the texture would be lost.

All our display boards were at child height, and because we used velcro to attach things to the boards, the children could do it for themselves most of the time.

Our children thought the laminator was magical!

Hi,

When did this become such a trend on our display boards? Early years settings laminate more than schools... is it really aesthetically pleasing to look at lamintaed work or does it take away the textured feel that children, staff and parents actually appreciate....what are your views?

Sometimes we laminate our display titles if we want to keep them and stuff for outside but never the children's work! However we have a little one who wrote her name four or five times for the first time! When I asked if she would like to take it home for her mummy she said no, not until it was laminated ( parents laminate any pieces of art work they want to keep)

actually have to say i do laminate snack labels and peg labels because they should last for some time!! forgot about those!

as to displays have you looked at the posts on ABC does? they are like storyboards. I haven't quite got there yet but it is a work in progress. I do not keep childrens work unless they choose to give it to me which with my children is rare. Their pictures are theirs not mine.

max321, I am rethinking this whole display board business. all neat and tidy etc etc and really like the idea of stripping it all down and having the boards at child height. Call me crazy but I would like the children to create the environment the way they see fit. We will collarborate and work together on this as a project...Getting excited just talking about it...I wonder what the outcome would be...what would it look like...how and why would the children arrange the environment/ furniture etc that way....?

Has anyone ever emabrked on this, if so how did it go?

It has been amazing, I'll get some photos tmw and post for you to see, the children love making displays sometimes not waiting until the paintings are dry (hmm) and none of us adults have to take time making displays anymore. The children have their photos with velcro on the back and can put these next to their paintings (actually those are laminated haha)

This has made me reflect on the display boards my staff have throughout the nursery, and now Christmas is here how quickly the templates have sneaked back in!! Do any of you let your staff use templates for the children to decorate?

With regards to laminating, my staff laminate photos that the children can access daily, much like yourselves and stuff for outside but it never lasts in the rain!!

Our staff do do simple templates sometimes :o ......... but I allow it as long as provide other options along with them- ie plain paper and scissors. Sometimes children need a little input to get them thinking 'outside the box' as it were.

AND we laminated children's pictures for calendars this year :o :o xD .

xx

Thanks for sharing max321, I like that they are all at child height for the obvious reason that children can see and reach their own works. Templates - one setting I had the priviledge of working in only used shape templates so circles for santa or robins, triangles for his carrot nose, squares for presents etc....

How are the meds going ChrisAR? :P

How are the meds going ChrisAR? :P

I need to either up the dosage, get the laminator fixed, or put up displays without bits of clear plastic stuck to either side.

When I first started teaching we used to use sticky back plastic. I think I will have to get my hands on a new roll...

• 3 weeks later...

We have information boards for the parents and other adults and they have laminated stuff on them. We also have felt covered boards which we had been given some time ago and our handyman in our church fixed them at child height for us. We velcro posters, children's work etc to these and also one we use for large fuzzy felt type pictures for the children to make up their own stories. We are a packaway group but luckily no-one has complained yet!

Laminating has its place but does not need to take over!